Just starting out

Ranger Tom

Lots of questions from a first timer:

We’ve been working summers in Yellowstone National Park for 8 years, and are getting ready for the big jump to year round seasonal work. I’ve been looking at the brochures, and am interested in an RV (trailer or 5th wheel, not sure.) We are also wondering whether to buy new or used. Money is a concern, but not enough to eliminate the possibility of buying new. (I saw in a previous post that it’s possible to get 20% or more discount from the list price.)

We plan to live in it in Yellowstone from May 20 - Oct 1, then move to another park (I’m hoping for Death Valley, about 900 miles) for their winter season, Nov 1 to April. Back to Yellowstone in the spring.

With 2 people living in it nearly full-time, it should have four-season insulation, a separate bedroom, and lots of living and storage space. I’m thinking that 28-ft + 5th wheels with double or even triple slide outs might be the best solution. Any recommendations?

Since it would only be moved twice a year, it seems a waste of money to spend $30,000 + for a big vehicle to move it. My Toyota gets great gas mileage, but… I’ve heard that some folks who own such vehicles will haul the RV. Does anyone have information on how much they charge, if they are covered by insurance, bonded, any experiences to relate?

Our next problem is whether we should buy near our home in Pennsylvania and pay to have it towed out there (2,400 miles), or wait until we get to Yellowstone and shop & buy in Bozeman, MT or Idaho Falls, ID, the two nearest towns with big RV dealers. Any info on experiences with “Big Sky” RVs in Bozeman or “Bish’s RV Super Center” in Idaho Falls? EG, will either of them go for the discount?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

C Nash

Just starting out

Hi Ranger Tom,
saw a poll the other day where most fulltimers go with a M/H with the fivers second and TT third. Lots of good Used M/H out there and you could always tow your yota with you. I like at least one slide for the extra room but, wonder about the structure strength with slides on both sides. Seems to me that it may weaken them but, can't say because I have never owned one with more than one. I would have to have a tow vehicle even if I was only moving twice a year. Plenty of good used 3/4 tons out there that will handle a 28 to 30 foot rv but, I prefer the duallys. Saw a good review on one of the boards for Big Sky RV. They reported that it was a very good dealer but, remember that may have been the owner making the post! The King Of The Road, Nu-Way and Golden Falcons are about the only Rv in my area in the 28 to 30 ft range that will recommend fulltiming in their rv. New Vision also claims to be an all season unit. Good luck and sounds like a good life.

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Ranger Tom

Just starting out

C Nash -- Thanks for the reply. I've pretty well decided on 5th wheel or travel trailer, due to the costs. ($35 - $45K new vs $150K & up.) We're on a limited budget. (You wouldn't believe what the Park Service pays seasonal employees!) I think it would be cheaper to pay to have it towed twice a year instead of buying a large gas guzzler that I only need for 2 days once every 6 months. Even if it costs $1K+ every year in towing for the next ten years, that's still less than buying and driving a big pick-up.

Of the RV's I've looked at, Jayco and Montana seem to have what I want, with the Montana 32 footer ($42K) the most room for the dollar. I'll have to take a look at the brands you mentioned. There are so many...

Tom

C Nash

Just starting out

Tom, The Montana line from Keystone is a good looking unit and I like the Alum. caged construction. When I asked Keystone if it was considered a four season rv they said it was not intended for year round living and this may effect warrenty. I have the Cougar from Keystone and it has been a great 5th wheel for a entry level rv and the price. Sunnybrook also makes a rv similar to the Montana and most owners give them good reviews. Keystone has sold out to Thor and I don,t know how this will affect QC. Thor has been getting bad reviews lately on some of their units but, there may be more of them on the road. I bought the Cougar mainly because of the dealer and service department. look any new unit over the same as you would a used. You are probably correct in your situation about a tow vehicle but, I like the freedom of moving anytime I Choose. Know all about the pay, I work for the state also, FOR 60 MORE DAYS!!

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com