just thining

G

well since this escape ladder thing is going on ,, i had a thought (imagine that ,, me thinking ) anyway ,, what about (since we all are kinda down for the yr ) coming up with some rv safety things ,, i for one have a few ,, and i really don't want it to get into any type of who is right or wrong ,, but just suggestions and topics ,, i will start with one that i have learned from the company that supplies us (the fire dept) with the chems to recharge extingushers ( yes we recharge them when needed ,, for the school and city) they have told us that if they sit for long periods of time ,, and are in contact with heat and cold alot ,, the dry chemical can and will settle ,, and it is a good idea when we do our inspection to shake them up to make sure the chem is ready ,, i know ,, the gauge says it is charged ,, but that is only the compressed air that makes that happen ,, u never know if the ext is really good or not ,,we have a shaker thing that was given to us by the the fire chem company ,, it is kinda like a paint shaker at the home improvement store ,, but bigger ,, every time we inspect the ext. we also shake them ,, and as for ones in rvs ,, it is a good idea to take them out ,, and turn them upside down and beat on the bottom of them and shake them over and over ,, well about only 5 or six times ,, (this agian from the chem company ) and also have them cked out by a FD or fire ext company from time to time ,, u want o be sure it will work when u need it .. well that is one of the few i have to add ,, lets hear from the rest of u ,, :applause:

Triple E

When I worked on the Alaska Pipeline,35 year ago, one of my jobs was to check Fire Extinguisher's. All that I remember, if the date on the tag was more then a year old, replace it.

TexasClodhopper

Here's one that we Class C folks will "run into" (pun intended) occasionally since we have a bed platform over the driver and passenger compartment.

Make sure anything that you store in this (normally) sleeper berth is not going to rattle off the edge.

The driver will be really surprised and might just roll off the side of the pavement when the large USA Atlas falls on his head! (Don't ask!)

The passenger will complain for a hundred miles when a paperback book bound edge clips her noggin, too. (It doesn't matter who left the book there to fall.)

Pancanbob

Another good thing to remember........ is to keep the fire extinguishers close to exit (Door) :confused:
Because the first thing to do is get to the exit.. then decide if you can fight the fire. :triumphant:
If you CAN then the fire Extinguisher is right there to use,
If you CAN'T then you can still get out.

Everything can be replaced ..... except your life :applause:

Also remember to keep the BBQ fixing for quick access, don't want to waste a good fire!! :stupid:

Have a good day
Bob

H2H1

Rod that was/is a very good point. I had all my inspectors to inspect all fire ext. and take them off the hook and shake them up each month, yes the chem will pack if left hanging forever.
now on that line left start a safety forum. let everyone ask or state a saftey feature.
I asked that all smoke detectors be tested each time you are heading out, put it on your check list,, change the batteries 2 time ayear like your home detectors, 1st.. daylight saving time and when we fall back.

akjimny

Good point on shaking the fire extinguishers. I always did it when I was the Fire Monitor (guy who went around and initialed the little tag every month). I have two extinguishers in the motorhome - one by the door and one by my side of the bed. I figure it will give me a couple of extra minutes to roll the Boss Lady out the emergency escape window. Which reminds me - how often do we open the escape window - just to make sure it works and isn't frozen shut?:)

LEN

I try shaking my fire extinguisher each morning and get a no not now!!! OK how many of you have baking powder in the fridge or freezer, you have a box of fire extinguisher at hand. Keep a flash light in several places in the RV, when the lights go out it can be a head, knee and chin buster. Also at our ages, most of us anyway, a durable power of attorney to allow the wife or hubbie to make medical decisions if needed, your local hospital can get the forms. Also have a list of meds for both as in a medical emergency this could be critical.

LEN

G

well my next thing i was gonna submit was what akjimny already adressed ,, and that was the emerg. escape windows ,, i test the 3 i have twice a yr ,, some models u can not do this ,, cause once they are out they are out ,, i have 3 escape windows in mine ,, plus 2 doors ,, i have 2 escape windows in the rear bedroom ,, one in the living room area where the couch/bed is ,, and i have the main door ,, and the drivers door to get out ,, but good points to everyone ,, keep them coming :applause::)
I kinda forgot to add this ,, here is a thing i found on a email reading thing i get on rv's

http://www.randomrvthoughts.com/2011/10/escape-windows-in-rvs.html

Pancanbob

We should all remember the 5 "P"
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance

I Shook my mine today (fire extinguisher) and didn't feel any movement in the cylinder, time to get a new one, better yet two of them.
The Gauge said it was still good, in the green area.

Tomorrow I will be checking the escape window, Jim.... Thanks for that tip

Just for everyones information.
Most small (NOT ALL) fire extinguisher are of the Dry chemical type, they have a pressure gauge to show how much pressure or "Charge" they have in it.
The gas is used to push out the chemical, it is a dry powder that will inhibit the fire, and hopefully put the fire out.
What happens over time, is the powder will pack down, especially if it has been Vibrated (like in a moving RV) that is why you need to shake it.
The shaking will help keep the dry powder nice and fluffy so the gas can push it out.

Take care and be safe
Bob

G

well here is another one ,, and it can be pretty bad if certain things do not operate as they should ,, how many times do u actually test the smoke ,, LP gas and co detectors ,, and by that i don't mean just pushing the test button ,, but actually putting them in a real life situation ,, 20% of all detectors will not work when needed ,, and even hard wired smoke detectors need to be replaced ,, i for one do an actual test on mine ,, i light a piece of paper on fire in a tray ,, and if the smoke alarm goes off ,, then it is working ,, as for the LP detector ,, i don;t have one in my MH ,, but i have tested others by holding a LP torch inside near the detector (not lit of course) ,, and if it goes off then it is working ,, the co is kinda tricky ,, but if u can get any type of exhaust in the rig ,, and make it go off ,, it is working ,, now i gotta think of a few more ,, u guys are great ,, keep it going :applause: :)

Triple E

You can use your Bic lighter for co or Lp detector. Light it, blow out the flame keeping the gas flowing. Put it near the detector and the alarm should go off. I do this before each trip.

Very good point Rod.

H2H1

OK, just a little head up on testing your smoke detector. IF your detector has a test button on it THEN use it, it is designed for that reason. If you are building a small fire to test your detector you are containinating the sensors. Smoke detectors AREN'T design for using a small fire to test them. There something on the market that was made just for detectors, it call artificial smoke. It will not harm the detector. It is required to be used when ever a new /old building fire alarm are being tested. Also another way is by a magnet, by placing the magnet is a certain place on the detector will cause it to ACTIVATE. the same is true with your co2 detector. I know Rod might disagree with me on this one, but as season fire fighter and a certified III FIRE INSPECTOR (the highest you can get) & FIRE INVESTIGATOR who knows the NFPA, that is the NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSIOCATION which is the bible for all fire departments. BTW the NFPA recommends that the smoke detector be replaced every 10 years. And alway replace the batteries twice a year. OK that all I have to say on this matter. As for as the fire extinguishers goes, yes you must turn it upside down and shake it at least monthy, the chemical will pack and become hard, the gas use to exspell the chemical is nitrogen, I recommend that you get what is call a purple K fire extingusher, and a ABC fire extinguisher, and keep the Purple K in the kitchen area. But the most important thing to do is learn how to use it. pull the pin, aim the nozzel, squeeze the handle and sweep, and alway point at the base of the fire, and never stand to close when using it, the pressure from the extingusher will push the fire away and may cause it to spread .SORRY FOR THIS BEING LONG but this not a short subject to talk about.

akjimny

Too bad the "Global Warming / Ozone Hole" folks got halon extinguishers outlawed (except for computer centers). No muss, no fuss, didn't settle out in the bottom of the extinguisher and didn't leave white powder all over the place when done. Wish I could still get a couple of them. Oh well....

H2H1

Jimmy the halon was outlawed by the enviromentist people just for the reason you stated. It is still use in military aircraft. Halon does not leave a mess to clean up and nor does CO2 fire extinguishers. However, halon disipates the oxygen so the fire goes out, co2 cools it below the ignition temp. The disipation of the oxygen is one reason it was banded, the only reason it is still used in military airplanes is the pilot(s) will eject themselves so no harm to the AC, it's going up in smoke and fire when it crashes.

G

well it is also used where electonics are used ,, due to that fact that it will not harm them ,, and also on submarines ,, but i thought i mentioned this was a post on who was not wrong or right ,, just a safety post ,, well there agian ,, i screwed everything up by coming up with this ,, sorry to anyone that was looking forward to a good safety kinda post ,, i will not enter anything else ,, yes i have alot more to post ,, but i guess i can do that on another forum ,, that respects what others say and does not bash ,,, anyway ,, i am done with this post ,, as i said u all can keep the post going if u like ,, and i will read them ..
but i forgot one more thing ,, yes smoke dectors need repalcing every 10 yrs ,, "if they were new when out in service" but ,, co detectors need to be replaced every 5 yrs ,, as per the NFPA ,, so to say :)

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08062.html

this is newer stuff ,, not the ones found back in the 60's and 70's ,, technoligy has changed BIG TIME ,, it takes more now then just a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to fix stuff ,, and it is gonna only get worse ,, hope all can keep up with it ,, i for one will :)

C Nash

The way our MH bounces around think the fire extinguisher will be shook up. Good advice I will ck mine.