Keeping The Children Occupied

RvRover

If I was to take my family on the road full time, how would you suggest I keep the children occupied when we are driving around a lot. Seems like this could end up with grumpy children and a grumpy wife too :/

big bilko

RE: Keeping The Children Occupied

Perhaps you could get the kids to hand out flyers to prospective clients at the traffic lights. Big Bilko, RVlikemyvan :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

SnowbirdInFlight

RvRover - 8/16/2008 3:53 PM If I was to take my family on the road full time, how would you suggest I keep the children occupied when we are driving around a lot. Seems like this could end up with grumpy children and a grumpy wife too :/

Actually you can get a lot of good activity type games for children in the Shower Games section of your local party store. Bridal and baby showers have lots of games that are played by using pads and pencils. These types of games are easy to play and can be lots of fun for the kids. Of course this assumes your children can read and write.

If they are too young for that you can always play "I went to grandma's house and I took..." This is where you start by saying, "I went to grandma's house and I took... an Apple!" Then the next person in line says, "I went to grandma's house and I took... an Apple, and a Banana! Then the next in line says, "I went to grandma's house and I took an Apple, a Banana, and a Cookie, etc. Everyone has to remember the item everyone took, plus do it in alphabetical order too. I have played this game with kids as young as seven and they love it!

Kirk

Re: Keeping The Children Occupied

I very much doubt that you will find a game that would keep most children quiet for long hours of travel, day after day after................................

When we travel with the grandchildren we make frequent stops with plenty of time at each one. We travel only for short days covering 100 to 200 miles at most. We route through areas with much to see and do and we keep the trips to one or two weeks. I have no idea of how one could prevent a child from reaching the point of boredom if you expect to spend long hours in travel and to do that frequently over a period of years.

Pillaz

Are you Traveling in a MH or 5r or TT We travel with teenager in an MH and I hate to say it but Playstation or x box really works. If you are traveling in a tow vehicle they make dvd palyers that you can hang off the front seats so the kids can watch movies,. They come with earphone jacks also. It also depends on the age of the kids. Also a simple deck of playing cards can work also.
Good luck and make it fun! :)

C Nash

Re: Keeping The Children Occupied

We found that while taking the teenagers to BMX races in the MH that the rear tv with movies, gen running with air worked. They would sleep most of the way.

krautdog

I have a portable DVD player that keeps my 3 year old occupied and the older ones 8 and 10, either read a book or play their Nintendo DS. Usually the excitement of camping makes the drive worth their while.

Cheers,

mrscoyote

You can do puzzles, highway bingo, I spy. Start a story where each person adds a sentence building on what the last person said. let the kids work the maps and help navigate or plan routes. just get creative. Set up a scavenger hunt for things to find along the way. etc.
Have fun.
Nancy