Laptop costs

Discussion in 'Full Timing' started by kojak, May 14, 2007.

1. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Re: Laptop costs

Thank them from me for their SERVICE. Thankfully we still have younger generations that have what it takes. My sons didn't follow me down the Corps path, but at my urging joined the local Air National guard unit and got their education and fulltime guard slots. Oldest is Lt Col in Combat Comm. Youngest retired after 20 years and a MBA and got a Program Manager job at Wright-Patt AFB,OH.

So what is total price of wifi card and phone service?

2. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

We are at a new Campground and the wifi is free. Well sorta. I have to trudge up to the office to get the signal. That will cramp my style. Will be here for a month, so I won't have as much fun posting. :dead:

3. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

They make external antennas for wifi, also. The big IF is that your card / computer has to have an external antenna connector.

My next laptop is going to have that kind of external hookup. Nothing worse than ALMOST hooked up.

4. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Yes, there is something worse. Hooked up. Then not hooked up.

5. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

The wifi at this Campground sucks! :dead:

6. onthecoach

onthecoach Senior Member

BEWARE!!! We have had very BAD NEGATIVE experiences where WIFI is concerned! As full-timers and Hubby is still working we need the internet. The last 3 campground we have been at (Loveland RV Resort-Loveland, CO; KOA-Wellington, CO and now: Pine Cone Resort-Freehold, NJ) have all PROMISED us we would have FREE WIFI! We have had NONE!!!

At Loveland their server went down, and even though we were there for more than a month it was never fixed! At Wellington, despite the promise of WIFI at all sites, the only place it worked (and I use the term 'worked' loosely!) was in the office! And now, here at Pine Cone in NJ, the owner PROMISED--PROMISED that since we will be here for 8 - 10 months he was putting us on a site where there is definitely WIFI.....NOPE!!! Nothing...can't even get the network to show up on the list!!! So, yesterday, we had the cable company out here and now we have high-speed internet via cable at $30/month! So much for FREE WIFI!!!!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

well that really sucks :dead:
    I stayed at a couple of higher end rv parks in Myrtle beach .
    Ocean lakes (which i love,,, and lake wood rv park ,,, which bty are kinda side by side)
    And the wifi worked great at both places had to pay 9.00 for it at Ocean lakes .. but what the heck we were there a month ,, the site was pricy but that's another subject... :)

8. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Well at least at this campground they didn't advertise wifi. I can get it outside of my RV which is nice, but we are close to the office. The best part is it's free. So I need to change my "This wifi sucks", to it isn't too bad considering it is unadvertised and is free if you can get close enough to the office to get the signal.

9. jetenbu

jetenbu New Member

There is a wireless router available that you can put your Verizon/Sprint/etc. card into and then several laptops can access it via wireless lan cards and all surf the Internet at the same time. I am looking at the Merlin S720 card and the Linksys WRT54G3G-ST. You can even use it driving down the road. I believe there is some sort of GPS available also. Just looking into it but it sure looks promising. Jim

10. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Hey Jim, keep us posted.

11. mike9121

mike9121 New Member

For those looking at the Sprint / Verizon /Alltel Air card solutions, you can purchase a EVDO router that will allow you to share 1 air card / account with multiple PCs via wifi. They are going on ebay for around $250.00. Sprint is the only provider (that I know of) who will openly tell you this. They even sell the router however it is a lot more expensive.

12. Shorty

Shorty Senior Member

Been traveling with different laptops for many years and use the Sprint Merlin Cards. For public use it's around 60-70/month for unlimited use. But I am not trying to push anyone towards Sprint or any other model for that matter. My 2 cents is to let you know when purchasing either an air card or a cell phone, make sure that there is a plug on it for an external ant to be plugged in. We are in a remote, wooded part of Florida(yes, there is such a place) where signals are either weak or non existent. My bride of 15 years also travels these areas for Hospice and she needs to stay in touch in case she breaks down.
    Wilson has antennas available with different adapters that you can mount to the top of your car/RV and the signal will go from nothing to full. This came in handy while at Rays Town Lake in PA. I couldn't get out via cell or PC Card until I plugged the ext ant in. Wasn't great... but it worked.

While I'm on the floor I'll keep going...
    The phone you are using are .6 watts, the old bag phone were a full 3 watt. Now, there are ways to boost you .6 watt phone to 3 watts ($400-$600), I found the external ant to work best for the buck(under$25) + adapter($10-15)

I have seen Wilson Antennas at major truck stops, but if you want to do some research, go to http://www.alternativewireless.com/

OK, I'm done now, sorry about rambling, but, keeping my office in touch is one of my jobs

Shorty

PS
    Remember when cell phone 1st came out? .50 / min? OUCH

13. geo24a

geo24a New Member

I travel between NJ and San Diego and I have internet in San Diego but wanted it everywhere else without having to sign a year or two contract. After alot of research I got T- Mobile. You need a Sony air card which costs about $200 ( I got mine from my cousin who didn,t want to pay for the service any more). Since I didn't want to sign a contract, I had to get the cheapest phone plan they had (unfortunately I had just signed a 2 year contract with Sprint) $30 a month on the flex plan (monthly) and add the internet. With taxes and surcharges it cost a total of $66 something a month. So far I've been to Maine and back to Jersey with no problems. My cousin said he never had a problem going from Florida to New York. It's not broadband but it's not bad. Alot faster than dial-up. I haven't tried it but I was told you get broadband speeds at WiFi T-Mobile sites. Starbucks etc. Very satisfied. George

14. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Hey 730, what you failed to say was that the wifi at Ocean Lakes was $9/night. :( They do have free wifi there if you want to drive to the coffee/snack bar. We stayed there for about 5 days and the RV Park was just too big for us.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

sorry DL left that part out in the post ,, i know u didn't stay at OL with out me??
    If i had known u'd be down there ,, i would have paid for u'r wifi ,, myself,,,
    I don't use it cause u can't get a good signal on the beach... :laugh: :laugh: ;)
    Heck i would have paid for u'r sight too ;)

16. DL Rupper

DL Rupper Senior Member

Hey thebobbyshop, welcome to the forum. Paid $500 for a Dell that does all I need doing. It depends on what you intend to do with one. If you want to surf-the-net and e-mail you don't need too many bells and whistles.