Leak from roof

mrouffa

We just discovered some bubbling of the ceiling material by the AC; up on the roof we found a spongy area (6" by 12") by the AC. It's a 2003 Jayco Kiwi Too.

My question is: should the roof always be opened up to inspect/repair damage or can the area be resealed and left as is? There is no sagging and the roof is firm overall (it doesn't sag when I stand on the spongy area).

C Nash

Re: Leak from roof

Welcome to the forum Michael. Make sure you have stopped the leak. I would repair the damaged area as soon as I was through with the camping season. It will only get worse. JMO

mrouffa

RE: Leak from roof

Thanks. I assume that it "will only get worse" means that mold and rotting wood will be the result.

C Nash

Michael a leak and rotten wood is just like cancer. The faster you find it and cure it the better.

mrouffa

Thanks to my domestic partner Becky's persistence, Steve,the owner of Hilltop RV in Escanaba, MI, agreed to replace the AC seal on the roof where the leak is likely coming from. We had a 2 month warranty on a 2003 Kiwi Too; the leak became obvious a month after the warranty expired. I was ready to give up trying to get them to take responsibility but Becky persisted and Steve readily offered to take care of it. We'll see how it turns out at the end of October when we bring it in for repair. At this point we don't know how much water penetration has taken place.

hamdave

RE: Leak from roof

There are those that will tell you to not 'open' the ceiling, but I would have to disagree. You have to find and fix the cause of the leak. Soft spongy area is a sure sign of rotting or soon to be rotting. If the area is about 6 x 12 then I would suggest picking the best place to make a straight cut from the corner of the A/c mount. remove the caulk at the A/c and lift the rubber back away from the bad area. Replace the wood that is bad, be aware that it may also be bad in the interiro as well. Most ceilings are mostly thin wood sheeting with a foam sandwiched inbetwwen the trusses and the wood. Once you have done that, put the rubber back with 3m #90 spray glue(it gets tacky in about 10-15 min) and then cover the seams with 'eternabond' and then recaulk. You shouldn't have issues again. Yup its tedious work, but is not difficult and you will have learned a lot about your rig in the process. all materials can be had at Lowes except the eternabond which can be ordered on line.

good luck

cheers