Leaking water heater

hamptonray

All,

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I've got a 40' Diplomat with an Atwood 10 gal gas/elec water heater. The thing is leaking and I can't find where from. The floor is wet, I've seen water drops on the styrofoam, but I can't for the life of me find the leak. My question is, how do I find the leak, and, if I do find it, how can i repair it? Will JB Weld work?

Any suggestions would be a huge help! Frustration is setting in and I'm tired of cold showers (especially in the winter)!!!

Thanks,
Ray

Triple E

Re: Leaking water heater

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have you checked all of you connections? If you floor is getting wet, may be the hot water line coming into the coach. On my rig the inlet line, cold side, to the tank and the tank itself is external of the living area. Good Luck and keep us posted.
:)

:8ball:

hamptonray

Thanks for the info. Yes I have checked connections coming and going. All connections except LP are pex w/crimps. There is a bypass which my wife did not use unfortunately, nor did she drain the tank as I always did in the past. She pumped RV antifreeze from the fresh water holding tanks through the system opening each faucet and watching the pink come thru then turning the faucet off. That put pink antifreeze into the hot water heater which is not the preferred method. The only drips seem to be coming though a seam in the styrofoam surrounding the tank. My rig has the inlet and outlet on the interior of the coach along with the bypass valve. I have found a replacement on JC Whitney for $459 but one must cut the pex and remove the LP gas line to get the unit out. Then try to splice back together the pex to install the new heater. Thanks, Ray

TexasClodhopper

It would be informative to know if the leaked water on the floor was hot or cold, but you would have to have hot water in your tank to find out.

hamptonray

Hi Clod: Hot water tank had been on but leak was slow enough as it spread under the cabinet and to the carpet beyond that hot or cold could not be felt to the touch. Just wet socks on my feet was the only indication that anything was amis. I first thought I might have splashed water while shaving etc. Became more conscious and deliberate in my attempt to keep water in the sink where it belongs. I don't have wife around anymore to prod me so to speak. Even reaching alongside the heater while on wasn't noticeable as to hot or cold, just wet. I know there is an inner and an outer tank. Am wondering if I should try to peal some of the syrofoam back and get a better view of possible interior leak sites. Thanks for your input. Ray

C Nash

Just a thought Ray but could it be a rain leak. Most likely will be the tank and you might repair it but probably best to replace. JMO good luck and let us know what you find

hamptonray

Thanks for reminding me about rain. Brought my rig from E Tennessee mountains to S Georgia where my son is stationed at Moody Air Force Base. It did rain here this past week but tank has continued to show wet even after the rain stopped. Perhaps you had some of the same rain over in BAMAville. Am headed to Jacksonville after Christmas and then to a place on the St johns River in the big city of Palatka, Fl. Hope to be there for the 3 most difficult and cold months of the year. Had 14 inches in my part of E Tennessee today. Made it out just in the nick of time. But boy do I need hot water again! Well I can get the hot water, its just that I don't need the extra water under the cabinet and on the carpet. Merry Christmas to you all. Ray

C Nash

Yep, we have really had the rain this year. Sure wish we were headed south with you for the colder months but situations are keeping us grounded for the time being. Merry Christmas