Leveling Jack Problems??

joeg11781

So I'm relatively new to Rv'ing, bought a TT last summer, and seen people using the BAL leveling jacks, So I bought some and put them on last week. Took the camper to a site, backed up and unhitched. Leveled front to back with power tongue jack (per BAL instructions) and then tried to level side to side. But when i tried to raise the lower side(door side/truck passenger side) of the camper, the tongue jack lifted and the TT looked like it was starting to roll. Anyone know if this is normal? Are you still supposed to put the blocks/lynx levelers under the wheels even with the leveling jacks? Or would it help if I put the leveling jacks down on both sides of the camper and just left the high side about 2 " off the ground so that side could only go so low? If anyone has any info, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Joe

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Leveling Jack Problems??

What you bought are Stabilizers. You need to level left to right with wood, lynx blocks or similar under the tires. Then level front to back with the tongue jack. THEN you lower your stabilizer jacks in each corner.

TexasClodhopper

Joe, you don't want your wheels in the air for any reason. And don't forget the wheel chocks, too.

joeg11781

We already had stabilizers, I bought these because they were called "Leveling Jacks" and says they are the easy way to level your trailer. I left the stabilizers on so now i have the Leveling jacks and stabilizers on there. So you're saying their "Leveling" jacks don't really do the leveling? That just stinks. thanks though.

campconn

RE: Leveling Jack Problems??

The best thing to do would be to put blocks of wood under the low side and then level the rest with the jacks.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email us at campconn@aol.com

Thanks,
Robin

joeg11781

Yea thats what I think is supposed to be done Robin, the jacks are more for fine tuning than making up large differences. Thanks for the quick responses!

Grandview Trailer Sa

NO, that is not the way it is done. When you lift a corner at a time, you will get your trailer in a bind or twist. I have seen people who don't know what they are doing actually get things so bad that doors don't close correctly.

Actually what you bought are called Scissor Jacks. Nothing but stabilizers.

C Nash

I go with GTS on this unless I don't understand something. damage can be done to TT by not jacking from proper jack points. Level by pulling up on blocks of some kind on the low side.