Leveling Jacks

fromthe5

My wife and I are new to the world of motor homes. We are looking at a 1990 Southwind 36. The layout is great as is the general condition of the vehicle, but it has no leveling jacks. Are they really necessary for everything to work correctly?

C Nash

Re: Leveling Jacks

There are plenty rvers that have got by w/o the leveling jacks but I would not have one without. JMO You can use boards to drive up on. Most rv sites will need some leveling. Welcome to the forum.

fromthe5

Thank you for the welcome. The fellow who owns the rv lot offered to sell us manual jacks for a reasonable price. One of our yearly destinations would be a spot in the Northern Minnesota lake country with no pad, just the packed dirt driveway of an old farmhouse. I was thinking that a carpenter's level would give me a good reading. Must the unit be perfectly level for the fridge to work correctly, or just close?

C Nash

Jim close will work ok. I like to have mine within a half bubble. Fridge is most important but never could stand to have to hold on to stay in the bed :laugh:

LEN

Mine has a bulls eye level in the drivers area that I level by, so it would be ez to level with the carpenters level and install the bulls eye. Then with a bit of experience you can estimate the height needed to level the coach. By manual do you mean push a button manual or screw jacks? Screw jacks can be done with an electric screw gun to save part of the manual or there are after market jacks in all price ranges.
As to how level, the refer is the most critical but you would be surprised how out of level the coach can seem and still be within specs for the refer.

LEN

H2H1

Well I just got mine out of the shop for hdy jacks wasn't working. We went around and around with Fleet wood about the valve assembly. and way long story short they are having internal problem. All I needed was one valve not the whole assembly. I like Nash can't see how anyone can camp and not have any / some type of jacks. I just just back from SD and I was with out jacks and let me tell you it was a pain in rear to get it level. So Jim I would get some type even if it just screw jacks and get a good portable drill to use. So good luck and yes it is a learning experience. :laugh:

strato13

I have jacks on a 1999 southwind, and after using them last summer our windshield popped out on the top edge of both. Had to windshield reinstalled by dealer and now use leveling boards i made up myself. Problem was extending jacks all the way out. Won't do that again.