leveling/ winterizing

lasoyatang

Hi
I had a equation on leveling my tt, how well does it have to be leveled (1/8 1/4 in) ? and I know to blow air into my city water to clear all the water out of the pipes but my furnace is were I need help there are two rubber hoses located under the furnace coming out of the bottom of the camper ,do I open the knob on those two hoses to empty my furans? I'm also leaveing my trailer pluged in all the time is that the wright thing to do ?

thanks
carlos

ironart

Re: leveling/ winterizing

Hi Carlos and welcome....

Leveling is a big deal with refrigerator operations....not so much with winterizing....Unless you want the ice on the roof to be the same thickness all the way around the coach.... We have a lot of rain here and not so much freezing and I like to have my MH a little slanted so the rain doesn't puddle on the top,,,,and I don't run my REFER in the winter months..
If you winterize properly then there will be nothing in the coach to freeze....the need for continuous electric supply will only charge your batteries...You could get a couple of 60 watt lights and put them in the coach to help keep the chill off....

I forgot to turn off the gas furnace one winter and had the T stat turned down to 50 degrees..(the lowest setting) .....it would come on and heat the coach to 50 all winter....of course, I was out of propane when I went to use it again....

Don't think you need to worry about the furnace......Unless, of course, you have one of those "Fancy" hydronic floor heating systems that use hot water to heat the floor in your coach......In that case you MAY have to drain that system too......I thought they used some form of antifreeze in those pipes, and a separate boiler. You would know if you have one....Not sure....Check the MFG. instructions........Don't forget to drain your water heater too...

Kirk would know...(Kirk knows everything)...........Lets see if he comes on with the answer.....

I'm sure that the others will have more tips as some of them live in "Cold Country" and have to deal with this every winter.....

Good Luck and Happy Trails

Paul

lasoyatang

that's what I meant when I said draining my furnace sorry It's the water heater really new at this thanks for replying

C Nash

Carlos, If you are not going to install antifreeze be sure the demand pump is dry. The antifreeze is cheap and I recomend using it but bypass the hot water heater. You would need to drain the hot water heater. Blowing out the lines will usually work but you always run the risk of some moisture setteling in low spots. Do a search on winterizing and you will be able to understand all the proper procedures. Your owner manual should also cove the proper way for your rv. Good luck

C Nash

Forgot to mention if you leave the shore power hooked be sure and ck the water level in the batteries often. If your converter has a battery minder it shouldn't overcharge them but you still need to keep water level cked. Also a discharged battery can freeze. Where are you located and how cold does it get?

lasoyatang

I LIVE IN NH AND IT GETS DOWN TO 10 DEGREES AT NIGHT . SHOULD I take the batteries out and store them indoors , or just leave theme plugged in ? would it hurt the batteries if I left it unplugged and plugged them back in 3 days before a trip? thanks for the help

C Nash

No need to take the batteries out IMO as long as they are not discharged. I leave my MH hooked to shore all the time when we are at home but I have the battery minder on the converter and have never had a overcharge problem such as boiling out the acid. I do keep check on the water level and add distilled water when necessary.

Pillaz

RE: leveling/ winterizing

Hi laso,
I live in the cold in upstate NY. You need to make sure your water lines are empty.Drain the hot water heater and leave valve open. I drain all of the lines then add the antifreeze made for the water lines and pump it through the system (Not water heater) You can get antifreeze at Walmart. There is a shut off valve for the hot water heater. I turn off the water pump but leave all of the spigots open, just in case.
There is no need to level the TT although it will hold up better if covered. I do not plug mine into a shore line and leave the batteries in it. It has never been a problem. Just make sure everything in the TT is turned off.
One other suggestion. Put moth balls in all of your compartments and around the floors. It keeps the criters out while in storage. The smell from the moth balls will go away when you air it out in the spring.
I do suggest covering your TT for the winter months.
Good luck and have fun camping.
:)