Light 5th wheel

portablevcb

I have a Ford Ranger that I want to use to tow a 5th wheel (yes, it has tow package, 5spauto and 4.11 gears). I've seen some lite versions of various models out there.

Does anyone have any advice on these lightweights?

charlie

hertig

Light 5th wheel

What is the engine in that pup? I had a lite Terry 5ver which only weighed about 6000 pounds (24.5 feet), and my 2500HD with 6.0 gas engine struggled to get up hills. Also, 5vers put a lot of their weight (10 to 20%) on the rear axel of the truck, which often exceeds the axel weight rating of smaller trucks.

If the truck has a tow package, then it should have a tow rating. Keep in mind that this rating is usually with no cargo or passangers in the truck, just a 150 pound driver and a bit of gas. Look for a trailer with a GVWR of equal to or less than the tow capacity of the truck, minus anything else you will carry in the truck.

You may find that a 5ver is just not practical. You may have to go with a tiny towable or some form of pop-up. If your reason for looking for a 5ver is the easier towing and hookup, check out the PullRite hitch which claims to make towing a trailer just like towing a 5ver.

Or you could just get a real truck :)

portablevcb

Light 5th wheel

It has a 4L V6 and is rated to tow 5900lb. I was thinking of something in the 4000lb range. It does tow a 3000lb trailer resonably well in our mountains.

I will look into the PullRite. You are right about the reason for the 5th wheel.

Someday I may get a 'real' truck. For now this is what I have. I may just stick with my 27ft class A for a while longer. It tows the Ranger just fine. :)

thanks.