Locked out - Help!

ronjillva

Any ideas? Sorry if this is the wrong forum but ... Our MH is parked in the driveway and we were going in and out with items. On one trip - when I tried to open the side door - it appeared locked. On grabbing the handle and pulling - the handle stuck in the open position. It was suppose to be open - but thinking that it somehow "locked" we put in the key and turned - but nothing happened. The whole plate with both key holes seems loose and it appears something slipped? shifted? Meanwhile the heat is on - lights going...

We turned off the gas, unplugged the electricity, and are now trying to figure how to get IN. All windows are locked tight. We are playing the guessing game on how to break into our own unit with the least amount of damage.

Any suggestions?

Jill

The good news is that we are not on the road - yet!

2006 Fleetwood Terra

utmtman

RE: Locked out - Help!

Had the same problem with my holiday rambler. Had to play around with it till it opened. Otherwise a locksmith or break a window. You could also remove a vent from the top and maybe shimmy down in. I am surpised you dont have a second door on that or an emergency window that can be opened.

ronjillva

OK - here is how it was resolved ... After many phone calls to dealership and helpline - all who said, "First time we heard of that..." - our insurance company sent out help. A locksmith could not get it to work either - so he used a wire to unlock the dining table window and my husband shimmied in. The locking "plate" had to be re-aligned and screwed back in. We now have a new plate on order and this week we drive to the dealership to have them check our old one and maybe replace it with the new one.

The emergency window was locked tighter than a drum too and vents too small! So the big question is "IF" you had to break a window - which one is least expensive to replace? HA! :laugh:

Neighbors are still grinning.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jill

utmtman

Ours was the same problem, the plate had come loose, but we were locked in. Luckily I have a second door on my rv. If it came push to shove I would break a vent and go in that way if possible even if I had to get a smaller person to drop them in and have them open a door window or something like that. Vents are inexpensive and easy to fix.

C Nash

Re: Locked out - Help!

Windshield :eek: and then tell your insurance a rock from a durn old gravel truck broke it and you was lucky you didn't wreck the RV :laugh: Just kidding :evil: Thanks for the follow up on the how it was done :)