Looking for easy route!!

glemon64

I'm getting ready to travel from Fresno Ca to Draper Utah. We have a 36' 5th wheel. Does any one know which is the best route to take. ( North Hwy 80 or South Hyw 15) Or another route all together. I'm looking for the best route with the least amount of steep grades. Thanks in advance!!

DL Rupper

Re: Looking for easy route!!

If you are traveling this time of the year I suggest I-15. If you elect to go I-80 make sure the weather is clear. I-80 is shorter and has less steep grades once you are over Donner's pass, however it has the worst weather if you get caught in snow storm.

glemon64

Thanks....not real worried about time.... thinking about going down to Mojave to 395 then 6 to 50 into Utah.... does any one know anything about that route????

DL Rupper

I've pulled a 17' TT with a 1978 Chevy V-8 short bed up US 395 to Bridgeport, CA in the summertime without any problems. That was back in 1982. Recently (2001) I've pulled my 5th wheel from Wendover Nevada/UT to Ely, NV on US 93 and then South to Tonapah, NV on US 6. Pretty flat and lonesome. I have been on US 50 from SLC, UT out to Ely, NV, but haven't towed a trailer. It's a fairly easy road without too many hills. In fact the route you described is pretty good except for up US 395 in the winter. That road has some hills and dales as I remember. They should keep it open in the winter because of all the ski resorts. Not too much traffic in Nevada and some great scenery if you like the high Deserts. I happen to like them.

glemon64

Thanks.....I think I will take the Mojave Route.....been on the other routes and love to take new ones just to check out the world!!! Not going to take off until March or April....not to worried about the weather.....Don't have to go unless I want to!! HEHEHE