looking for overdrive transmission

Discussion in 'Class A / Diesel Pushers' started by kojak, May 11, 2007.

1. kojak

kojak New Member

maybe someone out there could advise re getting a good s/hand gear venders under/overdrive box to suit 400 chev trans, would like to improve fuel usage on the 454 , or else a 400 o/d trans , dont know if anyone out there has any news on any of these transmissions,and also would they fit a 1987 Monaco rear engine,would love to get some feed back. thanks Guy's

2. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Re: looking for overdrive transmission

Kojak, probably wont get much help on that rear engine Monaco. Is the engine in the rear? Just never seen one. I don't think a 400 OD would work at all in a rear engine setup but all just guessing. How is it set up? Engine, trans, short driveshaft and rear axle. Engine sideways and transaxle? What kind of MPG are you getting? What rpm are you running? What size Monaco? Was the 87 still using the Quadajet? If so, you might get more improvement by changing the fuel system over to throttle body or even port fuel injection. Just some thoughts and keep us posted.

3. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi CNash, the engine is in rear north & south as you said engine trans short d/shaft ti top rear end,has a th400 @ moment, i have just purchased it in sacramento, we are coming over november to do some travelling across country to eastern seaboard to ship it out to Australia on deck cargo,I am not sure wether it has a quad carby or what, it is 1987 we havent seen it yet only photos, the owner said he gets 7 mpg travelling @ 65mph with chev p/up on flat four on an A frame, i just think we could get better if we had a o/d trans or a gear vender O/D as here in australia our fuel is $1.30 per litre which is 4.5 litres to the gln, as mentioned last maybe fit a diesel 6.5 chev if i could find one @ right price, thanks for reply kojak

4. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

Kojak, that is probably about all the MPG you will get if the MH is any size at all. Drop to 55 and it will improve. Also he might even be streching his claim on 7 mpg. Do you have the option of declining the sale if the Monaco is not as advertized? Let me know if you travel through Alabama. Never seen one so would be interesting to see it. Think there was some overheating problems on the earlier rear engine set ups. Good luck

5. kojak

kojak New Member

Hi C Nash, re size 36ft as far as mpg we wont know untill we get out on road travelling, if i put a O/D trans it should help re usage,wewill travel around 55mph should help ,weare heading over your way so get your address and phone number to us and we awill give you a call if thats ok, hope to try happy motorhoming gary