Looking for reviews on 2001 Newmar Dutchstar Diesel

RonHr

We are considering the purchase of a 2001 Dutch Star 3858 Diesel pusher. Is there anyone that has experience with that model? If so, has it been a good one? Anything to look out for?

C Nash

Welcome to the forum. Dutchstar has a good reputation. No personel experence with the Dutchstar but previous owner care generall determins how good they or any makes used. How many miles? Does the seller have repair records? Look up the price on NADA without adding equipment to get an idea of value. Tires been replaced in last 7 yrs? If not they will need replacing regardless of tread or appearance. Be sure all appliances are working gas and electric. Dont forget plumbing. Also ck close for any water damage. If you can see damage it is worse than it looks. Be sure to ck top of rv for condition. Dont be a 1 poster then gone keep us posted. Some of the diesel owners here will give more info.

RonHr

Thanks C Nash, appreciate your input, being a new aspiring RVer we need all the information we can get.

vanole

RonHr,

As Nash said Dutch Star and their manufacturer (NEWMAR) have a great rep. Nash provided other good gouge to look for in his post.

There is a 00 Dutch Star parked across the POD from me down here in South Florida and the owner raves about it. On my morning walks I see multiple Dutch Stars throughout the park all years. I will sniff out any 01 owners in my walks and see what they have to say.

Hoepfully the owner has maintnance records and you can find out what type of transmission fluid is in it Transynd or Dextron and also find out about the coolant. Run every thing fridge, AC's etc. Most likely have the old 4 button Duotherm CCC thermostat which is not a problem just remember parts are not available but a rebuild if their is a problem runs about $100. Tires are an enigma 5-7 years at best and your looking a 3+K to replace. Find out age of batteries also. Goal really is that when you drive away you have little or no expense right out of the blocks other than fuel to take you home. If it has a washer/dryer combo and the moho has been layed up make sure that was winterized also. Concerning engine both Cat and Cummins make a good engine and if need be you can send an oil sample in for analysis to Blackstone Labs or Amsoil if you desire to see if any problems exist.

RonHr

Thanks vanole; the owner claims that they have all maintenance records; it appears as though they have taken very good care of it. It is an Allison 6 sp transmission, should a particular tran fluid be used?

Thanks again for your very helpful response!

ron

vanole

RonHr,

Either is okay. A couple of years back Allison switched from using Dextron to Transynd. Whatever year that was they then extended the warranty on the transmission and change interval. If the unit you are looking at has Dextron I would not worry about it until time to change out then go with Transynd in my opinion. If you do change out follow the recommendations and change out as described. Your first change out will be at an earlier interval I believe.

With all of the above said I still I many friends that never made the switch over and could not be happier.