looking into RVing

hdman93

Hey!! I am new here and to RVing.. My wife and I are looking into getting a RV... we have been looking at lots of models... TT's 5er's, pushers... we have pretty much decided we are going to get a 5er... now the question.. I am wanting to purchase the RV then match the truck to it... I have been looking at GVWR, GVAR, and the likes.. is there a clear cut way to figure out how much truck will be needed to tow the RV?? right now I have a '99 dodge 2500 2wd ext.cab... I am not opposed to going with a bigger truck... but really confused with the ratings on the trucks and how much tongue weight can be put on the bed...

Kirk

Re: looking into RVing

The gross vehicle weight rating of the truck is the most it can safely weigh, including all weight added to it. That means fuel, tools, people, pin weight and every thing that is ever in it. The gross combined weight rating is the max. weight that the truck is designed to safely and reliably tow & carry. That means everything in the truck and towed by it. There is also a tow rating and that is the maximum weight that the truck should tow, exclusive of the weight that it carries.

The rule is to never exceed any one of these weight ratings. The larger fifth wheel trailers require going up to a medium duty truck in order to safely tow them.

hdman93

Thanks, I got that I think... let me put it another way... if I am looking at a trailer that has a GVWR of 14500# and a ton truck that has a GVWR of 13000# then that is not a good match.. right???

Kirk

That's close, but not quite. What you want to look at for the truck is the GCWR, which means Gross Combined Weight Rating. The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is what your truck is allowed to weigh, including the pin weight and anything in the truck, including people. If your truck has a GVWR of 13000# then you probably could tow the trailer with a GVWR of 14500# since you won't have the entire weight of the trailer riding on the truck, only the pin weight. Look for the gross combined rating as there is one somewhere and it probably will work.

Hey Ken ! How about jumping in here as you know the truck/fiver combination much better than I.