looking to buy a Wildwood 26bhss

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by jdhollan, Jun 22, 2003.

1. jdhollan

jdhollan New Member

I'm interested in the model above but my tow vehicle is a Dodge Durango 4x4 5.9 rated for 7400 lbs towing. The gvwr for this trailer is 7640. Would I be able to tow this as long as I don't fill the fluids such as water, gray water and sewage to capacity. I would not be hauling it with anything in the holding tank. It would be used for weekend camping, no cross country stuff.
  2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

That rating is for a stripped truck with no cargo, no accessories, no passangers. Just a 150 pound driver and a gallon of gas :) In the real world, generally you wouldn't want to tow much more than 5000 pounds with a 1/2 ton pickup, particularly with a small gas engine (those do not like to pull up hills). Gear ratio is also a factor; unless you have the equivalent of the Chevy 373 or even better the 410, towing will likely be a chore, not a joy.

And I'll bet that the 'dry' (empty) weight of that trailer is already above 5000 pounds. So as long as you are a light person, don't carry anybody or anything in either the truck or the trailer, you may be within specs, but otherwise, probably not.
  3. JBurchfield

JBurchfield New Member

Still looking for a 26BHSS. I have a 2001 model and it is great. We pulled it with a 1/2-ton suburban and it was fine, but later bought at 3/4-ton because I prefer the power. Most experienced RVers would probably prefer or recommend the 3/4-ton.

Mine is for sale if still looking, since I am moving on tomsomething else.
  4. gomer34

gomer34 New Member

I have an 02' Wildwood 26BHSSLE for sale, interior color is sage green. Excellent condition - Located in Maryland. Price: 13500. I am looking into the 29BHSS model. FYI - I had a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 SB 5.9 gas with a 3.92 rear gear axle. Pulled just fine, although a bit sluggish pulling in the mountains. I believe you will be fine pulling this on flat/slight inclines. I upgraded to a 99' Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 quad cab SB with a 5.9 I6 diesel. I can send via e-mail additional pics/info.