LP alarm

Discussion in 'RV Tips & Tricks' started by Margie, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Margie

    Margie New Member

    we are new to this so appreciate any info. I am having trouble with the LP alarm going off when I clean. It has gone off even when we spray the tank drainage bay and hoses on the outside with lite bleach solution or Lysol.It went off even when I was spot cleaning a few areas on the carpet with a cleaner (Resolve). Is this the problem or do we have a coincidental leak of the LP. Problem resolves after the RV (a Winnebago 03 Adventurer) is totally opened up and vents turned on. It can take 15 min to do this and get the alarm to stop going off. Thanks for any advice.
     
  2. Gary B

    Gary B Senior Member

    LP alarm

    Hi Margie, welcome to the forum, sounds like you may have a very sensitive alarm, lots of times hair spray and maybe lysol will set them off but generally you have to be very close to the detector, having it go off when outside in a storage bay isn't normal. They do go bad, you could try getting a can of air, the stuff used to blow/clean computers etc and try blowing in and around the alarm its self, sort of cleaning and blowing the accumulated dust out/off of it, it worked for me on our Bounder when we had it, what happened with ours is it wouldn't turn on just kept beeping for ever, I blow it out and it worked fine. Good luck, :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
     
  3. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    LP alarm

    Margie,
    I agree with Gary. Clean it before you think of replacing it. They do get dust/dirt around them. Mine is located near floor by refrigerator and it gets dusty near that area. Also have dog/cat and they tend to leave hair various places ;)
    Good luck and welcome..... :)
     
  4. Gruffy

    Gruffy New Member

    LP alarm

    :laugh: Some cleaners use propane as a propellant. Remember how the old hair spray used to catch fire??

    Whatever is powering your spray cleaner is being detected by the propane detector. Just think of it as a check, "yep still works" or better yet switch to an environmentally friendly non-aerosol cleaner.
     
  5. rlmurraysr59

    rlmurraysr59 New Member

    LP alarm

    If your unit is new and still under warranty, I would recommend taking it back to the dealer for a check over. If your water heater is under the sink and you can get to it I would suggest getting a small bottle of water and high concentration of Joy liquid detergent and spray on the gas lines. Better safe than sorry. If there is a leak in one of the lines the soap will bubble indicating where it is. Naturally, you will want to put a towel or something under it to catch the overspray.

    I have a Southwind motorhome and the other day I was looking at the "Smoke Alarm" mounted on the bedroom wall. Surprise, Surprise, it turned out to be a Carbon Monoxide detector. Being a volunteer fireman and working as a health and safety inspector for General Motors Corporation for a number of years, I know that Carbon Monoxide detectors are supposed to be mounted near the floor. Carbon Monoxide, like propane gas, is heavier than air and goes to the lowest level. That means that by the time the detector went off, the entire motorhome would be about 85% full of carbon monoxide and my wife and I, plus anyone else that might be visiting, would be dead before the alarm went off. I continue to be amazed at Fleetwoods commitment to quality.

    Hope you get it fixed and the fix is simple.
     
  6. Gruffy

    Gruffy New Member

    LP alarm

    :dead: Guess what...my Montana has one on the bedroom ceiling :dead:

    I don't suppose you have a refernce we could quote when we complain do you??? :approve:
     
  7. rlmurraysr59

    rlmurraysr59 New Member

    LP alarm

    Call your local fire department or do a Google search and asked the question, Carbon Monoxide Detectors. I don't have a written document to share, just training in toxic situations. When to wear a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) I guess I will have to search that answer out too. I have a Carbon Monoxide detector in my home and I know it said to put it near the floor.

    Get back to you later.
     
  8. Tara Dauge

    Tara Dauge New Member

    LP alarm

    Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

    Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.
     
  9. Gary B

    Gary B Senior Member

    LP alarm

    Hi Tara, a big welcome to the forum, and thanks for the informed post, I was looking for that imformation, but got busy this afternoon and forgot to look it up. I knew that when I installed my CO detectors that they were suppose to be up per the instructions and all of ours are about 5' high on the walls. I also knew that every rv mfg. in the world wasn't wrong in where they were installing them. Good post. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
     
  10. rlmurraysr59

    rlmurraysr59 New Member

    LP alarm

    I stand corrected. Good to have forums like these. I guess Fleetwood didn't mess up after all. Sorry for the misinformation. will do better in the future. Got to thinking about my answers today and realized the when we went into our last burning house the smoke was against the ceiling. Hot air rises. It just made sense to me that so would Carbon Monoxide fumes. But before I got to recant my post, someone did it for me.

    Let's all go safely camping.

    Hope you find out real soon what is causing your LP alarm to sound.


    Thanks again.
     
  11. Phillip

    Phillip New Member

    LP alarm

    I had the same problem. Started after my motorhome was a few years old. I called the manufacturer of the unit and they told me that the units need to be replaced at least every five years or so. Bought a new one and the problem instantly went away. That was three years ago.

    Phil
     

Share This Page