lp gas mystery

tommiehawke

i recently went from home, in savannah, ga to biloxi,ms seeking my fortune
icon_smile.gif
. i had checked to make sure that the ref on my allegro bus switched from a/c to lp. it switched, but i didn't leave iton lp long enough for the lp to take over. the temp outside was in the 30's so i cranked the generator & turned on the heat pump. this kept the ref on a/c.
after we were on our way & the weather warmed i turned the gen off & the ref alarm sounded. it would not run on lp. when we got to our first campsite, the first thing i checked was the lp turnoff valve. it was open. i checked the lp water heater & it would not come on either. i could hear both ignitors clicking, but no flame. on our trip to & from biloxi, after numerous tries, neither appliance would run on lp. when i got home i was going to start taking gas lines loose to find out where the gas was impeded. i decide to try the ref one more time before opening lines & voila!! the ref started up on lp. so did the lp water heater. anybody got any clues to this mystery? no part of the gas line had been opened since i used the motorhome last.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: lp gas mystery

I would suspect you have regulator problems. It may have frozen in your weather. I have see regulators freeze at 45 degrees, with the correct conditions.

tommiehawke

maybe so, but the weather was the same temp on our return home as it was during the time i was trying to get the ref & water heater to work.

G

I agree with ken on the frozen part ,, but also ,, the diaphragm inside the reg may have gotten week ,, with it freezing ,, one other also ,, how much LP do u show on the tank ,, don;t use the inside gauge ,, they are not accurate ,,, :)

tommiehawke

thanks for the info. the tank showed 3/4 full at the tank gauge. i will look into the possiblity of a bad regulator.i have never had the motorhme out in weather in the 30's, so this may be the culprit.

ken