lp tank and sub zero temp

tjvpga

My brother in law was just here and said that LP can freeze. I've never heard that before. Is it possible?
Tom and Deb

Gruffy

Yeah at -40F.....However, gas pressure gets lower as the gas gets colder. If it's cold (-20 or so) and you think the LP is does not have enough pressure pour a kettle of boiling water slowly over the tank. The level of the propane inside will become immediately apparent to the touch as well. (colder).

Kirk

Gruffy, does it actually freeze at that point? I am sure that there must be some point where it does, but I have never heard of where. I do know that in extream cold climates, like at the polar stations, the propane bottles are stored where there is heat because it won't vaporize and I have experienced cold enough to make it slow to do so. But I have camped in winter in the Rocky Mountains in winter with temperatures in the zero range and it did work enough to keep the furnace operational. I suspect that there would also be some point where the demand would determine if it vaporized rapidly enough to keep the pressure out of the regulator at it's set point. Just not sure what temperature that is. Guess I'll have to send a note to my friend the retired propane dealer.

JimFischer

LP does not freeze, but in very cold weather it will not vaporize. I am having this exact problem right now at a mountaintop communications facility I own in VT. We run off of propane as there are no power lines and the weather has been sub-zero for several days. The person who suggested heating the tank is correct. Believe it or not, what the gas company has told us to do, and we did successfully last year when the same thing happened, is to heat the lines with a propane torch long enough to get the propane to vaporize. Once it gets going it will be fine. It is a safe thing to do, I've been assured.

Good Luck

Poppa

Propane will freeze but its on the order of -200+.
At the gas plant we use propane as a refrigerant at -50.
What gappens to propane in cold weather is the colder it is the less Residual Vapor Pressure it has or in other words the ability totransfor from a liquid to a gas. Oh well so much for science lesson 101. :laugh: