lucy's big adventure

the water here is nice, 10:30 last night was a good time for a swim {i like the winter, when you can swim at night}

pool-1050486.jpg

monday morning we set off for the keys :D
Pic from Key West......
895091.jpg

Lucy is the one on the right

on our way down the keys we found these guys, low light made picture taking difficult
deer_1050614.jpg

at the airport in marathon, these were resting, between taking passengers up for 30 minute flights, $425 per person for 30 minutes in the air

B-24 liberator bomber

fortress_1050543.jpg

B-17 flying fortress

flying_1050538.jpg

both are out doing air shows 300 days of the year, the rest they are at home in new smymer south of daytona

the skys were incredible, i wish we were still there

sky_1050707.jpg

on the way north we stopped in at napels

we saw fish being caught

fesh-1050962.jpg

we ate some fish

mackeral-1050968.jpg

and we saw something magical

ray-1050974.jpg

we are in st petersburg florida headin north on monday

it's been a while since i did an update, we came up the gulf coast.
we swam with manatees in crystal river
manatee10.jpg

we found our selves being drawn back to daytona {i love it there}
we went and did some of the bike week stuff, met some very cool bikers
and saw some orsum bikes
biker60.jpg

biker63.jpg

biker44.jpg

we heard the indycar race there, too expensive to go and watch, but we did see a ferrari if i don't ever see another ferrari it'll be too soon

race292.jpg

we watched t he locals eating

watchthebirdy165.jpg

i never get tired of watching the sunrise

sunrise337.jpg

then there was a VW's on the pier at st petes, the last one on that pier
this square back was our favorite at the show

square188.jpg

this westy i think was the cheapest i've heard someone paying for a westy

i give you the $100 westy

100dolarwesty.jpg

it was a good show, not too big, and some very friendly people

lucy was getting very noisy in the wheel bearing dept :( so they were ALL replaced, 7k miles and they were done :(
we headed north again, hoping to finally make the long drive west, we managed as far as gainseville before it got too noisy again, no more than 500 miles and another set of shot wheel bearings, i thought i'd found a vanagon in deland fl, so we drove 100 miles to find that they'd not got one
so we limped back to daytona to replace new wheel bearings
at which point i gave up, we bought replacement hubs with bearings in them
we are now $400 in, on the rear wheel bearings
there's a noise now :( i hope it doesn't get worse, so the next time i see a vanagon in a u pick, and it has hubs on the rear, i'm going to get another set

now we are near pesacola, we met up with some nice folk from the "rare air" VW club at pensacola last saturday, and will meet them again this weekend, for and camp out and a caravan to a small show in mobile, alabama

we finally left florida today, it was fun, and i am very sad to have left.
we first got there in the middle of december, we saw the blue angles in pensacola yesterday

arrow6278.jpg

and watching the C-130 throwing it's self at the runway :shock:

hurculese5973.jpg

now to look forward to what fun we can find in alabama, we are meeting people from rare air emerald coast vw club for a camp out tomorrow.
campout.jpg

then a cruise on to trip to the ship

we went wild in alabama, on a small camp out with new friends
wild_766.jpg

we ate with the locals

crawfish728.jpg

new orleans was our next stop, it was overcast and rainy
we had fun though

new_orleans792.jpg

new_801.jpg

then we high tailed it to texas, to the texas classic show, that was FUN FUN FUN

we met some amazing people, had a fantastic fun, helped out a baja in distress

went on the cruise, over 160 VW's in a 30 mile cruise

cruise_351.jpg

i desperately had a want for an oval :)

oval889.jpg

from the Texas classic show, we headed to carlsebad caverns NM, they were orsum

cavern_56.jpg

cavern_43.jpg

there were some weird looking guides there

cavern_man_360.jpg

from there we headed up to roswel NM, what a town that was

we found some other ailiens

alien_99.jpg

then we headed north to santa fe, lucy did not like the altitude, and the heat, so we trundled slowly :roll:
we made it to santa fe, after a bit of useful advice i adjusted lucy's timing, now she has a bit more go, and can climb the mountains :D

it was beautiful there, it didn't feel like a town, let alone a city of 200,000 +

santafe_107.jpg

we stayed there for a few days, then lucy decided she wanted to see if she could make it up into the rocky's
we're happy to report that she did very well
i added a sign on the back window to let people know lucy's a speed machine

slow_115.jpg

then we set off on the climb to denver CO

even pushing hard up the interstate into the mountains she managed 23.44 mpg :shock: :shock:

this is where we have been so far

map_116.jpg

so, we made the climb up from santa fe, NM to denver, what a climb that was, we were still having troubles with altitude, so only traveling when the air was cool, as soon as it got warm we struggled, we managed a trip best of 23.44 mpg though, denver was fantastic
we found ourselves stuck between a rock and a hard place
rock143.jpg

we made it up to red rocks, where they have gigs, luckily no one was playing, or we couldn't have gone up there
stadium203.jpg

rock231.jpg

on our way out we met an amazing family, they gave us a camp spot for the night and let us handle some of their pets
chamelion274.jpg

spider283.jpg

from there we went over the vale pass
tunnel525.jpg

then down into aspen, where we met tom, "fairweather" and his lovely wife, anne,, who spoiled us
they lent us the use of their workshop space to do a little tinkering to lucy in preparation for the heat
so i made a roof rack 1" square tubing and 3" x 1/" flat stock, we ended up with this
roofrack335.jpg

then for harbor freight's solar kit, seen here at the syncro solstice meet

camp547.jpg

i am happy with how it turned out, although it now takes both of us to lift the top, my next visit to a junk yard will find us the rams needed to lift it easily again

since leaving syncro solstice, we stopped in on the arches, the colors of the rocks, the holes worn though rock was breath taking

arches193.jpg

meanduarch960.jpg

from the arches national park we headed to bryce canyon 8 very different, equally stunning

hoodu652.jpg

we saw the solar eclipse, the ring of fire

ringoffire976.jpg