LVD bypass

rjann

My LVD (low voltage disconnect) went screwy and cut off all power to the coach for no apparent reason. So I put on a jumper wire from the Vin terminal to the Vout terminal, effectively bypassing the LVD. Now if the LVD wants to cut off the power, it can't. The downside is I can't use the existing switch to disconnect power to the coach; I have to unhook the batteries instead.

Does anyone out there have any experience with LVDs and can you tell me if this sounds reasonable to you?

Kirk

Re: LVD bypass

It sounds quite possible. I'm not sure exactly what you have. Are you talking about a battery disconnect? If so they do fail on occasion. And you could easily bypass one in the way that you state. There are several things which could cause one to fail. What make device is it? Can you gain access to it to work on it and to run a few tests? If so, I would use your meter to determine if it receives a signal to close when you want the battery back on line.

Let us know exactly what you have and we will go from there.

rjann

Re: LVD bypass

I just got back from the outer banks. Had a great trip and everything worked perfectly. I'll check the make of the unit and get back to you, Kirk.

It's behind the driver's seat against the wall and up against the side of the sofa, so it's almost impossible to deal with any of the terminals except the big Vin and Vout ones. If I had to replace it, I don't know how in the world I'd get it out of there. Thank goodness my bypass works, sort of.

Oh yeah... it's a disconnect all right. It disconnects everything when it shouldn't when I have it in charge of the power.

Bob