Maybe I will consider a tent trailer? Longevity and Quality??

polarbearla

I just found out the cost of storing a travel trailer and now I am pondering getting a nice tent trailer. We went to look at some Fleetwood tent trailers and I like the Bayside one. Very roomy, I like the slide out, good storage etc.... So what would be the quality and longevity of one of these? We could store this on our property and not have to pay a monthly storage fee so I think it's worth looking into. We would be camping about 6-8 times a year, mostly long weekends around our state with an occasional trip to Yosemite or something like that. Do the keep well and maintain well. We would like whatever we buy to maintain well for atleast 10 years. I know a travel trailer will last that long but what about a tent trailer?

Kirk

Re: Maybe I will consider a tent trailer? Longevity and Quality??

We owned two pop-up (or tent/trailers) as we got into the RV lifestyle. For a family, I consider them to be the very best of choices. We used the one that we bought new for nine years and sold it for 60% of what we had paid for it. We used ours a great deal but we also took very good care of it. If you purchase a quality built pop-up it will last as long or longer than any other RV.

There are some care items that are unique to a pop-up. One thing is that anytime that you put it away with the canvas sides wet, as soon as possible you should set it up to allow everything to dry. The other thing to consider is that the lift system also requires maintenance. Those have changed over the years since we had ours so check the owner's manual to know just what should be done. Basically it will be a matter of keeping it clean, lubricated and adjusted. Beyond that, maintenance will be pretty much the same as for any other RV.

As to which one is best, the brand which we had is no longer built, so I can't really tell you much there. Checking things for quality of construction will be very little different with the pop-up than for any other RV. If you know how to judge an RV, the only additional thing would be the canvass and the fasteners for that canvass.

In my opinion, there is no better choice for a family than today's pop-up. It has most of the amenities of any RV, it is more easily towed and stored and they cost much less. In addition, with the canvass sides and large windows they have you get a great deal of the tent camping experience but with most of the amenities of an RV. If you shop carefully it will be hard to go wrong with such an RV.

polarbearla

RE: Maybe I will consider a tent trailer? Longevity and Quality??

Thanks so much. I feel much better about this choice now!

I have to admit I do like all the open windows and letting in all the air and sun. One of our favorite camping spots is on the ocean front.

utmtman

Re: Maybe I will consider a tent trailer? Longevity and Quality??

I have had one and we used it all over the US for five years than gave it to our daughter who had one but wanted a newer one she sold hers to a cousin. Also our other daughter and son in law just bought a tent trailer this past week and they are aching to take it out and do some camping.

polarbearla

RE: Maybe I will consider a tent trailer? Longevity and Quality??

Wow! that's different! Thanks for the link I will have to take a closer look at that.