MD 3060 Hardshift 1-2 and sluggish in others

shah

I have a 94 Allegro pusher with 5.9 Cummins and MD 3060. last month when I was coming back from Florida I noticed the trany hard shifts up and down between first and second shift and engine revs up and then down in other gears. I'm not getting any codes other than OL OK. Can you point me to what the problme might be. Thank you.

Allison Expert

Re: MD 3060 Hardshift 1-2 and sluggish in others

First thing to do is check the oil itself. See how the color is and if it has a burnt smell to it. If the oil level and condition is good, its possible it could be a leaking or stuck solonoid. Their was an update in '95 on the solonoids. It may be working fine electonically but not hydraulically. It is also possible a clutch could be starting to go. Do you notice any slipping? Is this the original trans?
Lets start their, and see what you come up with....

dbarton291

current mileage? Any past problems? Any recent work done to it?

shah

50K miles. It is the original trans and no work or passed problems. Thanks

shah

The color is dark(almost black). I can't smell burnt oil. Level is OK. I guess the soloniod would have to be tested at a shop. Other than the slmming of 1 to 2, I see the engine reving up and the gear change and revs back down. Is that the same as slippage? and yes. It is the orioginal trans.
If it is a cluch, how much should I be expecting the spend on a fix?

Thanks

dbarton291

shah - 5/17/2010 9:07 AM

The color is dark(almost black). I can't smell burnt oil. Level is OK. I guess the soloniod would have to be tested at a shop. Other than the slmming of 1 to 2, I see the engine reving up and the gear change and revs back down. Is that the same as slippage? and yes. It is the orioginal trans.
If it is a cluch, how much should I be expecting the spend on a fix?

Thanks

Does it rev up DURING the gear change? Kind of like revving in neutral just for a second or two?

shah

Yes. That's exactly what it looks like and then the needle comes back down as the gear changes.

dbarton291

Whatcha think there Allison Expert? Dark fluid, flaring 1-2, slamming into second, no codes.

I'm leaving in the morning for Taiwan and then on to China again. So, I may not be on for a while.

Where are you located, Shah?

Allison Expert

Well, I'm thinking a clutch is getting close to being toast. Even though their is no codes now, there will be soon. If a code comes up, it will probably be a 54-12 or 56-22..You could also see a 25-11....The fact that the fluid is dark in color and it is shifting hard makes me think one of the clutch packs is starting to go.

How about that dbarton? Do you agree?
Hope this helps shah....Oh, you also asked about cost....A basic overhaul would run in the neighborhood of 3,000 to 3,500...

dbarton291

Allison Expert - 5/18/2010 12:44 AM

Well, I'm thinking a clutch is getting close to being toast. Even though their is no codes now, there will be soon. If a code comes up, it will probably be a 54-12 or 56-22..You could also see a 25-11....The fact that the fluid is dark in color and it is shifting hard makes me think one of the clutch packs is starting to go.

How about that dbarton? Do you agree?
Hope this helps shah....Oh, you also asked about cost....A basic overhaul would run in the neighborhood of 3,000 to 3,500...

Yup, I agree it sure sounds that way.

Shah: If you don't know where they are already, you can go to www.allisontransmission.com and click on the service locator to find the closest Allison authorized overhaul facility. I would get it looked at to see if there's debris in the filters and laying on the control module.