mice - covering vents with screen?

PIpestr

Found the site from searching on an RV Mouse problem.

Have a brand new, 30 foot Sierra that is permantly (in my mind) parked on family farm, in rural Ohio. It is in the middle of 300 acres, and mostly wooded where it sits.

EVERYtime we leave and come back there is one (or more) dead mice in the wastebasket under the kitchen sink.

We have spread moth balls, bounce sheets, and have 3 - count em three - of the electric 'so-called' repellers LOL.

I need to stop em from getting in.

MY first thought is they are getting in thru the various vents on the roof - climbing the water hose, or satelite cable, to get to the roof. I am thinking a nylon mesh screen (like screen door material) will keep them out.

Of course that leaves the vent from the furnace that is on the side of the cvamper - any reason I should not push mesh over it ?

Would like to hear thoughts on any or all of it.

TexasClodhopper

Re: mice - covering vents with screen?

You put your RV right in the middle of THEIR house. You have to expect it. They are determined little animals and will find the smallest of openings. Especially in winter.

Unless you are willing to search out every opening ...

utmtman

I use steel wool in and and all possible openings, they will not chew thru it and they hate it. Good luck.

JonD

RE: mice - covering vents with screen?

Check out www.mouse-free.com, it's a dealer applied coating that prevents mice from entering your RV! They will spray a coating on the entire undercarriage, thats all the chassis, hoses, pipes, wires and entire underbody. The coating is impassable by any mouse or crawling insect. The coating is just too slippery and oily! The mice cannot nest or chew on anything. They want nothing to do with your unit! :)

Triple E

JonD - 7/9/2010 1:44 PM Check out www.mouse-free.com, it's a dealer applied coating that prevents mice from entering your RV! They will spray a coating on the entire undercarriage, thats all the chassis, hoses, pipes, wires and entire underbody. The coating is impassable by any mouse or crawling insect. The coating is just too slippery and oily! The mice cannot nest or chew on anything. They want nothing to do with your unit! :)

Welcome to the Form JonD. Thank you for the info., but you should become a sponsor to this site if you want any response. Otherwise you are just anotherperson looking for free advertisement. :disapprove:

C Nash

If it's that slippery and oily what will it look like after a trip :eek:

JonD

Mice problems are huge with RV's. I had them in every unit I ever owned. Every forum has the same ideas of mothballs, bounce sheets, traps, poison, and yet the mice get in and cause problems. I am sorry if I came across as pushing a product on you, its just that the product has saved me the constant battle of dealing with setting traps and hoping for the best. I know this stuff works, and really well. Just want people to know that the Mouse Free product does save you from the heartache of opening up your unit only to find you have a another mouse that made it in.

C Nash

Well JonD as you can see spammers are making this forum impossible to do what its intended to do. That to help other campers so we are leary on anyone coming on with a product to sell and they are not sponsers of RVUSA. I notice that you have the website listed in your profile. That tells me you are just after FREE adds. If I am wrong I'm sorry. Make more post with problems or advice and we will look at you different. And take the website off your profile.

JonD

The Mouse Free product is slippery and wet, but is designed to adhere to the bottom of your unit while it is in transit. It lasts for 12 months. You really won't notice it at all. It's not a thick messy coating. It is a thin film that will be noticed only if you where to crawl underneath your unit and wipe your fingers along the chassis or axle. :)

C Nash

Most campers can't afford the high price of it anyway :evil:

C Nash

Slippery and wet so it will also collect dust and road debri :disapprove:

JonD

Really, please do not be upset, I am sure I have come across as someone who is way to exited about a product. But it is only because I have seen it work for me! I have been camping ever since I was a kid. Absolutely love it! And honestly, mice became a natural thing that we just accepted as part of our trip. We would fully expect to have to clean and disinfect before each trip. :)

C Nash

So now JonD give us a different topic post on your camping adventures. :)

try2findus

Gosh Steve, I am impressed. I would have never realized he WAS the mousefree guy until you mentioned it.

Unless he pays to advertise, I would rather have the mice than the SPAM.

drew1xx

I found this article http://rvstorageinfo.com/blog/?p=47 that talk about the issues of mice and rats inside the RV. They are warning people to avoid unclean and unsafe places to store your RV. I agree with them, most people make their own problems because there too cheap to spend the money to store their RV in a clean Environment. Mice and rat problem can be avoided.

That’s my two cents…

Triple E

As Tex would say, "Oh Boy". :( drew1xx, knock if off or pay up. :angry: