Mike & Managements RV Road

SuperMike

Hi People

My wife and I are on Wednesday next week going to look at a Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 35A first registered in 2007. We will be at Dudleys of Oxfordshire in England, who are I am told the only official Winnebago Dealer in Europe.

Up until now we have used a Caravan type trailer, but because of my wifes disabilities clearly that is now no longer satisfactory. Size limitations for Caravans in England reduce the available space below what she can cope with. European type Motor Homes tend to be similar in size and even more internally restictive than a Caravan.

So off to see the Winni we go. To quote the brochure : Cost £89950. This immaculate one-owner motorhome is in "as new" condition. The floorplan gives excellent galley workspace, a comfortable lounge area and a unique rear bedroom with a glass panelled doorway. Priced with a huge saving against a new model today, this is a top spec version of the Winnebago Adventure, driven by a 8.1L Chevrolet Vortec Engine. The words go on and on, but that is a precise of the contents.

This is our first look at an RV, the choice of which is not huge over here, also if we go ahead in the RV world, for this one anyway I will have to upgrade my license, because it is over 7.5 British Tons in weight.

It will be an interesting day out, and I have promised to take Management somewhere nice for lunch.

Will let you know how we get on, and if you are interested keep this thread going on how things progress.

Regards from over here.

SuperMike

C Nash

Re: Mike & Managements RV Road

Welcome to the forum Mike. Good luck on your RV search. keep us posted on how the RV search comes out. The Suncruiser is a nice unit IMO.

Kirk

So Mike, how did the shopping trip go? We are all waiting to here the result.

SuperMike

Sorry I've only just got up on Wednesday morning it's 07.45am here. :laugh: We will leave when the traffic dies down.

What's the time, date, where you are. :cool:

SuperMike

RE: Mike & Managements RV Road

Ok people, so yesterday was an experience. We got there at about midday and it truely was an amazing place. Row after row of RV's of all sizes and makes, including every Winne possible. We looked at the secondhand Suncruiser, but Management quickly locked onto the new ones and we ended up considering the Winnebago Sightseer 31A which has a floor plan that is more interesting than the normal, and seemed to suit my wifes disabilities.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/winnebago/2010/sightseer/

The only real problem that we can see, is her getting into it. There are two electric steps outside and three steps inside which makes five, which for her is huge and leaves her in some pain. I would be grateful for any ideas that overcome this mountain to climb. I have been searching on the web and have found a power lifting step, but the maximum it goes up is 24" and, I need more than that. It's about 5ft from the ground outside to the floor inside the RV.

http://www.dolphinlifts.co.uk/usspsl

So put your thinking caps on please, so that this can be resolved and we can make a decision

nifty9

Hello mike We seen a fellow how built his own personal lift for his 39ft discovery classA he removed all front steps and built a electric winch hand controlled lift platform that lower to ground and raised to interior height he also. had exterior kitchen set up with sink cooktop and small fridge on lower slideout guides for less in and out as this was his new home This work very well for him as he was living and traveling alone .Cheers Dave in Victoria B.C.

SuperMike

Thanks for the thoughts.

I would like to add a picture to this thread to show you the problem. I can't see any way of doing it. Help please.

TexasClodhopper

Mike, go to the "Albums" link in the blue stripe above. Create a new album. Upload your pictures. Go to each picture page. Copy the link from your browser address bar. Paste the link into your post.

I find it much easier if you open your album in a new tab or a new window and switch back and forth between them. Right-Click on "Albums" and choose one item.

SAMPLE: http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=51&photoid=621

SuperMike - 5/15/2010 7:19 AM.... I would like to add a picture to this thread to show you the problem. I can't see any way of doing it. Help please.

SuperMike

Thank you for help. Excellent.

Anyway, I have found a possible solution to my wife getting in and out of the RV.

http://www.coachlift.com/rv-handicapped-lifts

Link below shows Management in action, this gives you an idea of the problem.

http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=84&photoid=1173

I will ring on Monday and talk to them, to find prices and shipping costs etc, Arizona is 8 hours behind England. The web site say's that they will ship to over here. If it is ok, then that is a huge step towards our sparkling new RV. Regards SuperMike, Management and Lady Faith Finesse ( A Black & Tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. SuperMike's SuperLadyFaith)

SuperMike

Thanks Tex.

That post has gone belly up. Strange as it was alright until I decided to edited it, because I can't spell.

Regards

SuperMike

SuperMike

Ok people. Last Friday we went and looked at the Winni again. Management is close to making a decision now. It was in the workshop being converted to our 230v, apparently it takes about a week to do the job properly. Had a long chat with the guy doing the work and others in the workshop about the dealership in general. Also had the opportunity to talk to a nice couple who store their RV there. Apparently they also have one in store in America and spend their lives on one side of the puddle or the other. They also confirmed that this dealership provide good service, which is reasuring. Have got my medical on monday, to start the road in changing my licence to be able to drive one of these rigs.

SuperMike

Well people, this week begins the upgrade of my driving licence, mentioned earlier on this thread. I have passed the medical. Thursday morning brings two test, both on the puter : 1. Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles. Pass mark 85 out of 100. Multiple choice questions. 2. Hazzard Perception. Pass mark 65 out of 100. You have to watch Video's on the puter and spot the possible hazzards. Loads of revision and practice taking place at the moment. Theoretically nobody, I am told, has been prosecuted for driving an RV over 7.5T with a car driving licence in England. RV's fall in the grey area of not being a heavy goods vehicle, because they do not carry goods for hire or reward. However I do not intend to be the test case and also watch the Insurance Co. run away if anything was to happen. :laugh:

Actual driving test practice is allowed when you have successfully completed these two bits.

Can anyone please tell me why, whenever I edit a post, it all goes funny.

akjimny

Can't answer the question as to why your edits go funny - maybe someone from the front office can. I'm amazed at all the hoops you had to jump thru to get a license to drive an RV over there. But then again I'm amazed that a person who couldn't get a license to drive a 40 passenger bus here in the states can, by dint of a large checkbook, get a 40 foot motorhome and dive with nothing more than a regular license.

H2H1

it just lets everyone know that we aren't as smart as they are. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pezar

akjimny - 6/14/2010 2:30 PM

Can't answer the question as to why your edits go funny - maybe someone from the front office can. I'm amazed at all the hoops you had to jump thru to get a license to drive an RV over there. But then again I'm amazed that a person who couldn't get a license to drive a 40 passenger bus here in the states can, by dint of a large checkbook, get a 40 foot motorhome and dive with nothing more than a regular license.

Jim, most RVs are considered passenger vehicles by the states, who handle licensing. I don't know why. In fact, even when a small or medium sized truck is considered "commercial", as in California where every vehicle over 10,000 pounds gross weight has to pay a special tax even if it's private and not for hire, it may only need a Class C (passenger) license to drive. I think it's bizarre, and is most likely dictated by state budgets or lack thereof.

The difference between a commercial and a passenger license was likely settled in the early days of autos, and if you look at some of the early pickups they were little more than say a long bed on a Model T chassis (similar to a Class C being an RV on a Ford E chassis), so they were placed with the passenger vehicles. RVs didn't enter the picture until after World War 2, and back then they were sort of half mobile home, half RV, without much in the way of furnishings in most cases. '

Somebody was selling a 1946 Glider TT on CL, and they posted a few scans of the brochure, and it was sold with only a small couch in the front standard. You had to supply the rest of the furniture. Likely since a regular passenger car could tow an old tin sheathed TT, RVs were placed with passenger vehicles (that, and a lot of lobbying from the new industry, of course-if a Class A license had been required from the getgo RVs would never have taken off). Then inertia set in. Motorhomes really didn't show up until the late 60s, and then they were a little cabin on a pickup frame, so they were passenger vehicles. With that nose under the tent, 40 foot Monaco RVs soon were snuck in.

pezar

Here's what is considered a "commercial vehicle" as per California's website (and we're the nation's strictest!):

A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:

Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer
------------

So, it has to be used for hire, has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs, or carries more than 10 passengers. RVs always "sleep six" likely due to this rule. I think they key here is that private vehicles are not included, so motorhomes are not included. We require a special license to drive a scooter, but not a 40 foot motorhome!

akjimny

I applaud England for testing their drivers more thoroughly than we do ours. During my time with the Army I was tested and licensed to drive everything from a Jeep to a M577 Command Track, to include a 40 passenger bus. But when we were shopping for the MH, I sat in the driver's seat of a couple of big Class As, and was not comfortable. I didn't want to get something that big and go out on the streets getting experience on-the-job. If someone can hop out of their passenger car and into the front seat of one of those rigs, more power to him. He's a better man than me. Maybe I'm just getting old and cautious.
So, Mike, I wish you all the luck with your tests and know you'll be a better driver for it.

SuperMike

Ok people. Mike passed his theory test 99/100 and hazzard perception 85/100. Arn't I a clever boy. Now on to the difficult bit .................. Driving.

This monday just gone I started my 8 day course out with an instructor. What a bum clenching experience :laugh: However now at the end of my second day I am settling down into it and things are beginning to come naturally. Still making lots of little mistakes, but making progress. Driving test Wed 14th July. I'm getting there.