mildew problem

H2H1

OK new question. I have a try vet AC/DC cover for my MH, I under stand this a breathable cover. Here is my problem, I am getting mildew on the sides of the MH. I had this problem last year, but didn't find it until I took the cover off in the spring. But this year we have had 3 1/2'' of rain in DEC and the humility is up in the 80% range. I have found mildew again and have taking the cover off. So does anyone have a suggestion as why mildew is forming on the side of the MH.

cdude

Re: mildew problem

Hollis, I am no expert on mildew, but have had some exposure in the work place and in housing. Mildew, which is a type of mold, is not only a southern issue but a northern one. It needs mositure and a food source. Any small amount of dirt provides additional food for it to flourish. You did not mention what you did last year when you discovered the problem. Not suggesting your MH is dirty though. ;) :laugh: What did you do?

Normally you need to kill the mildew if you want to prevent a return, otherwise it remains dormant until the right growth conditions return. I would think cleaning the cover would also be necessary as any residue remaining on the underside of the cover would provide seed for growth. One way to get rid of the mildew is to wash the affected area with a water-bleach solution. Some say one part bleach to 4 parts water, while others say up 10 parts water. Need to test a spot to determine color change and material impact before going too far. Anyone in disaster relief profession, i.e. dealing with flood damage, should be able to give you a good indication of proper mixing ratio or an alternate commerical ready to use product.

If you cleaned the MH and the cover last year the only thing I cna see is that you picked up some mildew/mold spores during your subsequent travels and they decided to grow after being under cover.

Charles

H2H1

Hello Charles, to answer your question, yes I cleaned it with mild solution of Clorox and water, then I waxed it and buffed it out, not once, but twice. I am a fanatic about cleaning my MH. I will be out doing it again once the holidays are over. But as a added measure I normally wash and wax it 3 time a year. And I always wash it when we get back home after a long trip. Thanks for you comments and suggestions, and Merry Christmas

ARCHER

Hey Hollis,
Just a comment. Is your unit heated inside when the cover is on it? My old unit would do the same thing, get those little black spots and a little mildew on the siding. I know the cover I had was breathable and I did not heat inside but I think it might have been because there was a small leak (never did find it) somewhere on the roof and water may have been between the siding and the main walls some which might have caused the mildew. Just a guess. ;)

H2H1

Hey Archer,
No it not heated when it is covered, I just think it is due to the high humility we have here in GA ,last week it in the 88% range. We are having a lot of moisture here , not much rain this month, but last month we has about 4 '' of rain, but a lot of low hanging moisture filled clouds. thanks all who have commented and made some good suggestion.