More toilet questions

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by marstrings, Dec 3, 2007.

1. marstrings

marstrings New Member

Are there different systems? Some of the interior photographs I'e seen of RVs look like there's just a 'potapotty' arrangement. I have visions of carrying the thing to a septic tank. Yuk.

M.

2. rjf7g

rjf7g Senior Member

Re: More toilet questions

Some of the small units like class B's and some slide-in truck campers have cassette toilets. There's a 5 gallon tank you remove and take to the dump station. A unit that has a true black water holding tank either has a porcelin or plastic toilet. It could have a foot pedal or hand lever. Hope this helps.

3. marstrings

marstrings New Member

Thanks Becky. So I want to avoid cassette toilets, I think. What do you call a 'proper' one with a black water tank?

M.

4. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member

Nearly all class A and class C motorhomes and the vast majority of trailers today have a tank to catch the "black water" which is the PC term for what you flush down. They use toilets designed for use in RVs which use much less water than a home type and also require a lower pressure supply. The two main manufacturers of them are Thetford and Sealand. When the tank is near full, you dump it into a sewer connection. These RVs also have a "gray water" tank which captures the water from the sinks and the shower. It too can be dumped into the sewer system.

5. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

My 06 Fleetwood Niagara has the hardwalled potty/shower, and the potty on it is a SeaLand Traveler-lite (made by Dometic - china bowl, residential style). You can view some of the potty's on the www.dometicusa.com website. This toilet has been a blessing - it's high enough for a semi-disabled (me) person to get up/down without assistance.