motor home length

kidkasha

I am purchasing a motor home, and was thinking about 38 ft length. Looking at campgrounds it seems that anything above 36 ft is restrictive in some parts of California. What is the usual countrywide. I was looking at CA beach locations. Would love feedback

krsmitty

I think some of it may be determined by where you plan to do most of your camping at. Most private parks my be able accompany the larger RV's. But, in Florida anyway most of the county and state parks may lack sites for the larger RV's.

H2H1

when I make reservation they ask what is the lenght of your MH. I tell them 36 with a tow and I get a sight that is big enough for both. Sometimes I never have to unhook to tow due to the lenght of the sight.

vanole

kidkasha,

krsmitty and Hollis (H2H1) gave you some prestty sage advice.

I read somewhere once that most SP's can accomodate a 36ft M/H. In our first M/H purchase I factored in where we would be staying most of the time and went with a 38'. I never ran into any restrictions where we planned to visit. Yes the length a few time caused us not to camp at a particular campground we really wanted to stay at but it was not a show stopper. Even at 38' I was able to get into some SP's. I've found most places with lenght restrictions as mentioned are older parks (and they are nice ones) but the interior roads, overhanging trees and general room to manuever is somewhat lacking, because when the park was constructed they never thought M/H's would grow to 45'. Some of the older parks I have been to in western PA had slideout restrictions because folks were packed in so close.

I also have also been to parks that advertise they can take "Big Rigs" and seen the spot assigned and never thought I could shoe horn my M/H into the spot and somehow luckily did.

Hollis is spot on with his advice about informing the host of what you are bringing to the dance (M/H & TOAD). If dolly towing I'd mention that also. Been to a couple of parks that wanted you to stow the dolly in a different location (not at your campsite but in the park).

Jeff

H2H1

Jeff when I use to use a dolly I would store it under the rear of the MH. I remember when we was in West Palm Beach the camp manager asked we to store it in a RV storage lot. I said no, I would push it under the MH and it would be out of the way. He came back to say he has never heard of doing that, and he has learned something news. He was suprised how easy it was to get in and out. Anyway just one way we did it.

vanole

Hollis,

I've seen that before also. I've never towed with a dolly but was travelling with a couple that did and they about had a fit when they had to stow in the storage yard. After they did stow it, it was no big deal to them guess it was the first place they ever stayed that had the requirement.

Jeff

LEN

SP's LIE I've seen parks that say 30' and they have drive though at 70-80' and seen some with 40' that is measure with a 8 inch foot. That being said I have had very little trouble with sites and I'm 63'. Yes there are some parks that I can't use but I doubt a 34-36' could also. And yes a few I must park the trailer in their over flow. If I replace the one I have now I will go to a 40'

LEN

H2H1

well if I ever get where I can, the next one will be 40+ cat diesel with 2 full wall slide out, if that is available. WAKE UP you dreaming. That a good dream. Well if you going to dream, might as well dream big.

H2H1

No Jimmy, I love driving mine, so 4-6 more feet will not be much more to control. I just have to be more careful changing lanes

H2H1

look guys, I have driven a ladder truck that was 48', I really don't see a problem with drive one. But buying one , now that would be a problem.

G

well IMO ,, i don;t see any probs with the length of the rv ,, most high end resorts love the big rigs ,, it makes them look good ,, and also makes them money ,, and why does hollis want to buy a ladder truck ???? :confused::):D

H2H1

No Rod ,,Hollis does NOT want to buy a ladder truck. I stated I a have driven one that was much larger than the MH I have now. Besides I have no place to park it, the ladder truck that is. I do have space for a 40' or 45' MH. But have no $$$$ to buy it. OH well the one I have now is fine so no problems, we camp and enjoy, not camping to impress anyone.

G

H2H1;74904 said:
look guys, I have driven a ladder truck that was 48', I really don't see a problem with drive one. But buying one , now that would be a problem.

kinda looks like u were saying u had prob with buying one (laddertruck ) JK u hollis i know what u meant ,, but i had to do it