My dog has adopted three kittens!

SnowbirdInFlight

We live in the country and have some outdoor cats. We started with one gold male. Then a female black cat showed up and boom, we had more cats. The black cat had a litter last year we didn't mess with them and they were all wild and went away. Then this past April she had five more kittens. These are also wild, but hang around because my DH and I are feeding them along with a horse, our two dogs, the hummerbirds, and other various birds.

Well the gold male cat (Bond) got Miss Kitty (the black cat) pregnant again and she wound up having NINE kittens on 08/07/08.

NineKittens.jpg

Well, she moved them from one spot to another and I noticed one was dead and two were missing. So on the 18th I checked them again when she moved them again and because I noticed she was not with them most of the day. Two more had died. Then she just left.

So, I took the remaining four kittens and began bottle feeding them. One more died that night. Now there are only three kittens left. I brought them in the trailer and my miniature poodle, Pretty Girl, (who has had two litters, the last one being three years ago) began whining and wanting to see them. She pleaded with me with her eyes. So, I put the box down for her to see the kittens and she sniffed them and then climbed into the box with the kittens and proceeded to try and lay down with them. Of course she was too big for that so I got out her dog bed and put her on it and laid the kittens down by her and she started caring for them as if they were her own babies!

She cleans them and allows them to nurse as well! Of course she has no milk, but I am bottle feeding them so they are getting plenty of nourishment and I guess the nipple is like a pacifier for them, lol. I've heard of this happening but first time I've seen it first hand. Pretty Girl is a good little mommy. I now have them in a large dog crate and she sleeps with them at night.

PrettyGirlandKittens.jpg

Isn't nature wonderful! Too bad people can't get along like this!

utmtman

Re: My dog has adopted three kittens!

Nice story, glad to hear the dog has taken over as mother. Hope they make it.

SnowbirdInFlight

Re: My dog has adopted three kittens!

So far they are doing great. Of course I will have to find homes for them as soon as they are weaned because we can't have cats due to my husband being a neck-breather (due to cancer). So we can't have any animals that shed hair. That's the beauty of poodles, they don't shed. So, the cats will have to be given away or taken to the Humane Shelter for adoption.