MythBuster Show proves tailgate theory

Discussion in 'Talkback' started by John Harrelson, Jan 4, 2006.

1. John Harrelson

John Harrelson New Member

Does anyone watch the "MythBuster" shows ?

They proved that a pickup truck with the standard tailgate on it and in the closed position got better mileage than a truck with the gate down or off. ???

And they showed why ..... thats the important part.

Destroys the theory of a 5th wheel's vented tailgate or no tailgate giving better miles per gallon...

Don't you love it when Science proves or disproves a theory ??

The MythBuster shows are fantastic... learn something new every time..

MythBusters is on the Discovery Channel..

2. hertig

hertig Senior Member

Wow, I wouldn't have believed it. On my old truck, I put one of those rolling covers which claimed to improve gas mileage 10%, and got exactly 10% better gas mileage. I guess air going down further into the bed has more impact to gas mileage than running into a tailgate...

Sort of like those 'air deflectors' which are supposed to reduce gas mileage, but really seem only to raise the 'bug line' on the trailer
  3. riggarob

riggarob New Member

HI. I remember this theory being proven back years ago by a truck race team. Of course, I can't remember when, but you can't believe how many arguements I've gotten into about the tailgate mileage thing !! And I can't believe the dopes that leave the tailgates down for you , or small kids to walk into, or let them hang 1/2 way out into the parking lot. Oh well, ignorance is bliss. Old MARINES never die, we just ***** ourselves to death.