National Park Travel

IChasem

My wife and my dream is to visit all of the National Parks in a class-A motorhome. I have heard about length restrictions at the campgrounds within the parks. I was hoping to find a resource which contains a list of all National Park campgrounds, specifically listing the campgrounds designated for large RVs. I have looked at the NPS web site, but the information is minimal at best regarding RV camping. This information will aid us in deciding what length of rig to purchase.

Also, if anyone knows of any books about the subject of motor-homing through the National Parks would be appreciated.

utmtman

Re: National Park Travel

There is a book out there that has all the information on the national parks. The book is put out by Fodor's and its called "The Official Guide to America's National Parks". It does tell you if the park has campgrounds but not the size of sites. You could contact parks and ask them. They do update campgrounds as money is available. I have stayed in several and all had sites big enough for my rv 37ft with two slides on on each side.

utmtman

PS there is also a state park book put out by National Geographic called "Guide to the State Parks of the United States"

LEN

The problem we have found with the state parks themselves is they lie. Some time they say 30' and you can par a 45' with trailer and some times they say 40' and you have to take out several trees to get in. Same with a lot of private parks, you never know for sure until you are there. That all said if you can boondock for a few days here and there or use private camp grounds you can see almost all the national and state park with a toad. If no toad you will miss a lot even with the 30'.

LEN

IChasem

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Great information. I too have found inconsistencies with the information provided by the parks. I was hoping that an avid RVer has written a good source book. Too bad I'm not a writer... :laugh: