Need Advice on Hitches for 5th Wheel

newrver2010

Hi All

My husband and I are new to the RV world. We have purchased a 33 foot 5th wheel and a Dodge Ram 3500 short bed and are spinning in circles trying to get an education on what type of hitch to use. Since it is a short box we know we need a slider but are getting bogged down in whether to buy an Ultra Slide from Hijacker (quoted price $2500 plus $350 for installation), a Super Glide 16K ($4000 plus $500 installation) or an Double Pivot slider for $1200 plus $350 for installation).

If you go manual is it better to have a double pivot slider or just a slider. We think we have it figured out that both of these sliders are manual but one moves left to right as well as back and forth. Or should we buy an automatic slider.

We have read several blogs and the jury seems to be out. Our plans are to travel from Vancouver Island (canada) to the Baja with stops in Arizona and California along the way.

How often does one really have to use the manual slider when travelling. Its it once a day or once a week or once a month....

We really need your help. Thank you very much for replying.

:( :( :( :( :(

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Need Advice on Hitches for 5th Wheel

Hello and welcome to the forum!!

To answer your question quickly, I would personally get a manual sliding hitch. You will find that you don't need to move it that often and that you mostly need it maneuvering into camping spaces. You will be able to do a turn around in a 4 lane road, go in and get fuel while traveling, etc. I know one of my customers who has gone a year without moving his slide. I also know others that needed to move it and did not....DENT!! So, keep an eye on your clearance and enjoy your trailer.

newrver2010

Re: Need Advice on Hitches for 5th Wheel

Thanks for the reply. Its nice to get a clear answer and we will move forward with a manual slider.

Take care and have a great day.