Need experienced help - RV or Trailer

JasonBellJr

Retired four years ago, I'm one person looking to spend up to a couple years visiting all of the US and parts of Canada (in the summer), staying in a location for as long as I like before moving on to the next.

What are the good and the bad of pulling a truck with an RV or a truck pulling a trailer?

krsmitty

May want to do a search of the forums. That question/discussion has been brought on several occasions.

try2findus

Hello Jason and welcome to RVUSA! Yes, Ken is correct. Yours is a question that is frequently asked around here and there are many opinions.

We rented a class C before we were sure we wanted to purchase one. We can enjoy the comfort of riding in our rolling home and not have to worry about pulling anything behind us.

However, with that being said, if we are able to fulltime one day, we would want a toad to pull behind us to utilize for day trips and errands. But we see some super nice 5th wheels and equally nice Class A Motorhomes. I suppose there are as many opinions as there are motorhomes, so do your research, check the forum for other opinions and ENJOY your trip!

akjimny

Jason - Since you are one person, you could get away with a smaller travel trailer or 5th wheel with a corresponding smaller tow vehicle. That way you could set up camp and use the tow vehicle for sight seeing and not burn a lot of gas while doing it. JMO but that would be better than a motorhome with a toad.:):)

Cruzincat

I am in a similar situation but the other way around. I am about 4-6 years away from retiring, or it could happen in a year given the right circumstances. Right now I have nothing in the way of an RV. I live very close to the Chesapeake Bay. One thing that has kept me from getting a boat is having the time to get the most out of it, and the fact I have nothing to tow it with. What I am thinking about getting in the next year or so is a Pick up truck that is capable of towing(5-6K), as well as being towed with all four wheels on the ground. That way, for the next few years, I could get a boat or a small to medium TT, and later on, if we decide to get a MH we can tow it behind it. We like what is available for fifth wheelers, but to tow one you need a real beefy truck, which will eat a lot of fuel, even when - especially when - not towing. I also like the idea of having a PU truck for the utility of it.

If, in the future,we determine a MH or Larger rig is not for us, at least we can be camping and boating locally, as well as hauling stuff to the dump, etc.

C Nash

I have owned most all types in our 45yrs plus camping. All did what we wanted when we had them and served us well. Now being retired and traveling we have a 32 ft MH with 2 slides and a Tracker toad. Works perfect for us. MH is gas and averages 8mpg but the toad will get 24 mpg. What works for one is not for all. Your type camping and travel is what determins what suits best. AJMO.

rjf7g

I am kicking around the same question. I have a class C and like many things about that platform, but I don't like the thoughts of having two engines, drive trains, etc. running properly. I pull a 23' boat with my Durango, so a trailer of sorts is possible. I like the thoughts of being able to park and sleep without having to get out of the vehicle. I am several years out from retirement and have basically decided to wait until I get closer to actually purchasing before I decide.