need help choosing a tow truck

johnsho

I need help choosing a truck to tow my new 5th-wheel. I am a first time owner of an RV and soon to be first time owner of a truck. My wife and I plan to travel the country in our 31 ft Colorado - 3 slide rv. It is listed as a GVWR of 12,192, Hitch-Wgt = 1844,
Unloaded-Wgt = 9592. Any opinions on make, model, engine, rear … would be greatly appreciated.
We are about to look at a Ram 3500SLT quad-cab 4x4; 6 cyl 5.9 cummings turbo diesel, 4-spd auto w/overdrive, short-bed with a pullrite, ride-rite air bags, and bilstein shocks all around. What do you think.

Thanks in advance.

H2H1

Re: need help choosing a tow truck

great, sounds like someone had it set up for towing

LEN

Welcome,
Sounds good to me also my son has a bit lighter RV and a little bit smaller RAM and it does the job. The only thing I might add is air bags are a good choice and I would add a PAC brake for the down hill.

LEN

CharlieS

Sounds like the truck is plenty big enough and you can't beat that Cummings Diesel.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Sounds good to me except for the short bed. Long trailers and short trucks are a bad combination. With a long bed you don't need the Pull-Rite hitch and you can save TONS of cash.

johnsho

RE: need help choosing a tow truck

Thanks to all for helping me in the decision process. I am buying that Ram3500, and I am very happy with the choice.

connectswires

RE: need help choosing a tow truck

Good choice, I pull a 27 ft with one slide with my shortbed 2500 ram diesel with slider hitch. I rarely use the slider because the pin is longer on the fifth wheel. Granted my trailer is lighter than yours, but i can run 90 miles hr if i wanted to. The air bags make a big diff. Welcome to the ram family.

C Nash

Hope you dont ever want to tow ANYTHING 90 MPH. :eek: :laugh: Think we might have another DL on here :laugh: Or mabe it is DL and dont want us to know he downsized the trailer so the Dodge could tow it :eek: ;)