Need help electric

trell

Ok we bought a rv with a iota 55 m series converter. WE had a place set up next to our house to set rv we had a dump,water , and electric pedestal put up. We have 50 amp rv WIRE IN BLK, RED, WHT, GRN outlet 4 prong after checking and rechecking the voltage (246v) plugged in the rv within a min or two the smoke started to come out of the compartment where the converter was. the converter was burnt up WE pulled the power cord. MY question ,does the neutral and ground have to be separated in the panel feeding the outlet? and does anyone have a clue what we could have done wrong?

Grandview Trailer Sa

No rv uses 240 volts....you should wire your connection with two 120 volt legs (left and right) and neutral and ground. The rv never puts the 2 hot legs together.

LEN

AHH but that IS a 220 plug even if the RV doesn't use L1 and L2 for 220, I have seen a couple high end coachs that do have 220 dryers. For most of us it gives twice the amps at 120 verses 220. To the OP if you had the L1 and L2 on the two sides unless there is something miss wired in the RV it should be good to go. The ground and common are on the same bar in panel of the home so even if backward should not be a problem. Now I have never really looked at the RV panel but it should be wired the same way. I think the inverter had a problem it is not uncommon.

LEN

trell

Think We may have found the problem the neutral was open on the pedestal causing the converter to receive to much voltage. We have tried all appliances and they seem alright with the gen. running. Hope the new converter we ordered will take care of things.Please reply with any info. we are still in the learning stage .THANK you all for the help.