Need help immediately on ABS

huntley79

Must take husband's motorhome to Texas with supplies. The ABS light stays on all of the time. Is it supposed to?

ironart

Re: Need help immediately on ABS

Hi Linda, and Welcome...

The Abs light indicates that there is a malfunction in the ABS system.....It could be as simple as a faulty sensor or a complete brake failure....

If it will stop and is drivable....I would suggest going to a brake shop or your RV dealer and have it checked....before taking a long trip....

Kirk

I agree with Ironart. Do not ignore this because while it may be nothing important, it could be dangerous.

Before you take it to the shop, check the master cylinder to be sure that the brake fluid is not low. You don't say what chassis you have but I know that some Ford products will get the ABS light if the fluid is low. It may be that all systems are that way.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum. Most of the times this is just an indication that the ABS is not working and you will just have our old fashion braking. As Ironart sugested have it ckd. probably a sensor or wire going to one of the wheels. it should have a code to lead the tech to the problem. great thing you are doing taking supplies to Texas.

G

well here is another prolly wrong answer ,, is the abs and brake light on???... if not ck u'r brake lights ,, alot of systems rely on the brake lamp switch to to give them the signal that the complete abs system is working ,, but also what chassis do u have ??? if it's ford chassis ,, they are known for rear abs sensors being bad ,, please let us know on what u find :approve: :approve: :approve:
And welcome to the forums :approve: :approve: ;)

Pancanbob

anti-lock braking system Has been around for several years, most vecicles have then now.
As stated below the help you keep control when you have to stop in an Emergency.
I hope this will help.

An anti-lock braking system, or ABS (from the German, Antiblockiersystem) is a safety system which prevents the wheels on a motor vehicle from locking while braking.
A rotating road wheel allows the driver to maintain steering control under heavy braking by preventing a skid and allowing the wheel to continue interacting tractively with the road surface as directed by driver steering inputs. While ABS offers improved vehicle control in some circumstances, it can also present disadvantages including increased braking distance on slippery surfaces such as ice, packed snow, gravel, steel plates and bridges, or anything other than dry pavement. ABS has also been demonstrated to create a false sense of security in drivers, who may drive more aggressively as a result.[citation needed]
Since initial widespread use in production cars, anti-lock braking systems have evolved considerably. Recent versions not only prevent wheel lock under braking, but also electronically control the front-to-rear brake bias. This function, depending on its specific capabilities and implementation, is known as electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), traction control system (TCS or ASR), emergency brake assist (BA, EBA or HBA), or electronic stability control (ESP, ESC or DSC).

Neal

RE: Need help immediately on ABS

huntley79 - 9/14/2008 11:09 AM

Must take husband's motorhome to Texas with supplies. The ABS light stays on all of the time. Is it supposed to?

Most likely, you still have full brake system, just the anti-lock feature may not work.

We used to have a 2001 Class A on Ford chassis & the ABS light came on randomally. It turned out to be the rear axle ABS sensor in the rear differential. It was an easy change & I think the sensor was around 28.00.

TexasClodhopper

How come we keep regurgitating these old posts? This one was back in September.

Anyway, ya'll might look at the date of the post before deciding to reply to it. JMHO!

The original poster was one of those one post shotgun-style posters that hits every forum and never comes back to see the results or reply. Bad manners. JMHO!

Anyway, maybe somebody else got something out of this.

It reminded me that one of Sallyberetta's dogs chewed the wires to my ABS mounted on the differential. I had to rebuild the wiring harness so we could go on a trip on schedule. Dog gone, too.