need help with tt cranking system

proshine43

hello, i have an older model rockwood tent trailer. I can crank the top up but the cranking brake wont catch. Ive opened it all up to look inside but cant see anything wrong. I cant find an online store that sells tent trailer parts. I use a bungee cord hooked up to the crank to keep the top up, not to safe. thanks for your help

C Nash

Re: need help with tt cranking system

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. Not familiar with the system but would think it would have a ratchet type lock that springs in place. Maybe some of the others will have an answer. Better watch the bungee cord :laugh:

proshine43

RE: need help with tt cranking system

what i found is this, there are 2 sprockets, 1 is hooked up to the chain that lifts the front, the other is the brake, the brake sproket spins freely on the shaft both clock and counterclockwise, but when the brake is applied the sprocket stops spinning one way but still spins freely the other way. Theres no set screw or anything to tighten up. so when we raise the top the shaft rotates the chain sprocket turns with the shaft but the brake sprocket is loose so when we stop raising the top and the brake is on the shaft just spins and the sprocket is stopped. any suggestions? thanks.

C Nash

I would think there should be a pawl that springs in place on the brake sprocket but there would have to be a release for it. All just guessing but maybe if we keep bringing your post up someone will know.

ironart

Could it be that you have to push the crank in to lock the system and then pull it out to unlock....Just a guess.. :) :)

proshine43

i tried that. I still get the same results. I'm even willing to buy a new crank setup but i cant find them on the internet. Anyone no of a site I can go to that has tent trailer parts. I've allready renovated the inside, looks brand new. I will be tearing off the outside sideing and replacing it with new updated siding.

proshine43

Anyone know of an online store for tent trailer parts. This tent needs a lot of tlc but I can't find a site that has parts for tent trailers( lift system). Thanks

ironart

Hi Brian,
I'm not sure if Rockwood is still around but I would look for a Rockwood dealer...especially one who has been around for several years.....He might have some new/old stock on his shelves that could help...and possibly some manuals too........Just a thought. :) :) :)

ironart

Wow.....Twice in the same day.... :eek: :eek:

Great minds do think alike.. ;) ;) ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BCCC

RE: need help with tt cranking system

Not to sure how old your unit is but on the older rockwoods with the chain drive lifter system (these are no longer made) try the
following . Top down and latched insert the crank handle and turn to raise the top.You will feel pressure and then the handel will
become free turning. unlatch the top and crank up the unit. The problem is caused by over cranking when putting the top down
the top should stop and the crank free turn about 11/2" from being closed.push the top down by hand and latch.
Bob Cox