Need your experienced opinions to tow safely plz

eetrapnoel

Before I dive into this, I wanted to let you guys know have to do this out of neccessity and not for leisure. My job requires me to move to a new location for the next 4 years and I need to buy a trailer to live in that I can tow safely with my current vehicle (buying another will hurt financially along with new trailer). OK here it goes:

2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7L RWD
Curb Weight - 3825lbs
GVWR - 5350lbs
Max Trailer Wt (GTW) - 5000lbs (with weight distributing hitch)
max trailer/load/jeep combined weight (GCWR) - 9850lbs

- I am looking at the feather lite, ultra lite, well just "lite" trailers becaise I am weight limited. I need to tow it one time 8 hours away, plan to do it at night (no traffic), 55MPH, will not travel in inclament weather, mostly flat travel (N. Texas to Louisianna), already have factory transmission cooler.
- Can I max it out safely at 5000lbs?
- Will the length matter?
- Should I weigh down Jeep to counter trailer weight (within limits of course)

Thanks for any help in advance I really do appreciate it. I have no choice in doing this (military) but wanted to get the most bang for the buck while doing it legal and safe!

akjimny

Re: Need your experienced opinions to tow safely plz

Hi E---, and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I understand your need to get as much trailer as your vehicle can handle, especially if you are going to be living in it for any length of time. However, you do not want to go over your max weight. In order to tow safely, you need to be under that weight. And don't just look at the trailer's weight - you also have to figure in pots, pans, dishes, clothes, bedding and everything else you put in the trailer. You don't have a whole lot of tow vehicle to move your new home.

Length isn't too much of a consideration - weight is. Hopefully Ken from Grandview Trailer Sales will see your post. He is our trailer expert and can better advise you and maybe recommend some models that will safely stay within your weight limitations.

Hope this helps some. Post back and let us know. :) :)

LEN

Re: Need your experienced opinions to tow safely plz

Any chance you could buy near your location moving to? Get larger trailer with slide for living long term in. Then in 4 years maybe even rent a tow rig to get it home or rent a tow rig or beg borrow or steal for the trip hauling the TT to its new home. Don't quote me on this but if I needed a one time shot I might go over load being REAL careful and slower.

LEN