New Full Timer having Water Heater Trouble

wildcatandi

Hello,
I am new to both RVs and full timing, but here I am! I'm currently having an issue with our hot water heater. It lights and it works but the water is consistently about 70-80 degrees (I'm estimating). It doesn't get hot enough to melt butter off a dish! This hasn't been SUCH an issue over the summer because it's 100+ degrees where we live and a lukewarm shower feels good but once winter hits we're going to be miserable.
The "hot" water actually lasts a fairly long time, the only issue is the temperature. It is a Suburban model SW6DE I believe. The owners manual says that the thermostat is preset to keep water between 100 and 180 degrees but we have yet to have anything over 100. Any suggestions?

Grandview Trailer Sa

You need to check the valves on the rear of the water heater. The bypass valve could be slightly open. Check your manual and see if it describes them. If not, come back and we can explain how they work.

wildcatandi

The only mention of a valve at all in the manual is "The water heater is equipped with an automatic gas valve, no adjustments are necessary."

Grandview Trailer Sa

You are talking about the gas valve...I am talking about the Water Valves in the plumbing on the back of the heater. Look at the back of the heater (inside) and find the water lines. Tell us if you see 3 valves or not. Right up behind the tank. There is a one valve version...

wildcatandi

ah I see what you're talking about. There are three valves. The middle one (that connects my blue line to my red line) is set to "bypass mode" according to the sticker next to it. I assume changing it to the normal mode position would fix our problem?

LEN

Good work Ken,
Wildcatandi, welcome and no need to feel anything. All of us have had a learning curve on RV's. They are very complicated systems having a house on wheels. The only cure is to get in and read read read not only manuals but these sites that have a wealth of info and problem solving.

LEN

H2H1

well here we are, one of our professional has saved the day for one of us Rvers. Thanks Ken for your invaluable knowledge. So to all out there, remember Ken is on here to help us and his advise is free. So keep him in mind if you ever need anything for your RV.
I know I do.