New Member and New to RV'ing

chag67

I am new to RV'ing and decided to jump in with both feet. I will be living in the RV full time until it is paid off (3 to 4 yrs).

I am purchasing a 1997 Newmar Mountain Aire (39,000) in a couple days. I have researched everything I could and spoke with many coworkers and friends that own or have owned RV's. I feel I am getting a great deal.

1997 Mountain Aire 37' 6" gas class A. Electric jacks, auto satellite dish, washer/dryer combo, living room slide out, driver side door. leather captain's chair and passenger chair (electric adjustment), memory foam mattresses for pullout couch, king size bed with memory foam mattress, screen room for awninging, outside shower, towing package, oak cabinet upgrade, tile bathroom/kitchen upgrade, no stove (I don't cook much), carbon monoxide detector, solar battery charger, air/hydraulic brakes, 5000 watt generator, plenty of storage.
I am paying $18,000. Thoughts?

akjimny

Hi Chag67 and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. If you look thru some of the older threads here on the forum, you will find numerous hints and suggestions about what to look for when buying a used RV. Check the roof for water leaks and check the caulking where anything pokes thru the roof. Tires and batteries are only good for 5 to 7 years, so check those. Hoses and such in the engine compartment will oxidize after a while, so have a mechanic check those.

Newmar has a good reputation for making a reliable coach. Hope everything checks out okay for you and you enjoy your new purchase. Post back and let us know how things work out.:):)

H2H1

WELL I can't say any more than what Jim has said, but welcome to our RV family. When you do buy, do be a stranger and come on back and share some of your experiances, and of course any questions/ problems that show up later. There are a lot of experiance people on here that can help you out, heck even some profess as experts.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Chag67, Ask for any service records on the Mountain Aire? A 97 can be junk or a great ubit if it has proper care in the past. Which chassis does it have and what engine? Good luck and let us know.

krsmitty

You can check out NADA.com to find used RV values. There were several different models of 37' 6". From what I can see values were $7,000 - $11,000.