new member bio

idahofulltimer

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, have posted a couple times, but thought I should introduce myself and give a little background. I have read what some of you consider to be a full timer. I'm in my early forty's and still have to work everyday. I would love nothing better than to be able to run around the country. I was born a traveler and have seen the vast majority of the United States, Mexico, and abroad including Australia and New Zeland (which we actually toured, both islands, in a rented RV). If anyone has seen the National Lampoon Vacation movie, that was what my summer vacations as a child were like. Mom would load me and my brother in the car and head across country for weeks at a time, stopping at every road side attraction (reptile gardens, world second largest ball of twine, etc.) along the way.

Unfortunately, the wife and I (and two dogs - lhasa apso & rotweiller/german sheppard ) lost our house last year to the housing crisis and have been living in a TT for over a year and a half now. This will be our second winter in southern Idaho. I learned a lot in a hurry about RV life last winter. Went through all the freeze-ups, leaks, etc. I actually don't mind living in the RV too much, although it does get cramped at times, two adults and two dogs, one as big as my wife, and you go from 2600+ square feet to 300 square feet. We've met a lot of good people coming through the campground and have experienced a totally different way of life. I think it has been good for us.

Without dragging this post on, I just wanted you all to know a little about me and why I consider myself a full timer, everyday and night for 20 months so far with no plan to change should count for something, even if we have been stationary the whole time. Hopefully through this forum we can get to know one another and who knows, maybe we'll see some of you on your travels, if you're coming through southern Idaho, Twin Falls area.

ARCHER

Re: new member bio

Welcome Shaun,
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. At least ya got a roof over your head. Sometimes it will even make things better in the long run of life.
Enjoy what you have and be thankful for all of it. Some are on the streets for the first time in their lives.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year........ ;)

G

welcome shaun ,, i know it's not the fulltime choice that u want ,, but as Archer said ,, u got a roof over u'r head ,,, i have seen a few in u'r situation (not putting u down) ,, but with my rv repairs ,,, i have seen a growing number of have to be fulltimers ,, and i don't knock them ,, they are just like u ,, go to work everyday ,, and live thier lives ,, i feel for u ,, and all others that have had the same thing happen to them ,, but also as Archer pointed out ,, there are more in the streets ,,, take care ,, and i know it'll turn around for u ,,,
Merry Christmas ,, and Happy Newyear
;) :)

DL Rupper

Hey Idahofulltimer, sorry for your forced full-timing expereince. The problem as I see it, is that most full-timers think of full-timing as a chance of a lifetime to be able to live full-time in an RV and travel. I got the idea that you would rather live in a stick house, so I really don't think you are living the full-time lifestyle that most of us crave, but rather are a full-time RV park resident. To some of us there is really a difference. The key is living the life by choice and really wanting to, not by necessity or circumstances. Just my opinion. I like to think of full-timing as something special not " I actually don't mind living in the RV too much".

SnowbirdInFlight

Well my DH and I live in our TT full-time. We have a nice little pad back home in Illinois for the summer months. We may stay there for a couple of months and then go 'camping' with the trailer in one of the nearby state parks or even travel further north to follow the 'cool' weather. Or, we may just stay there for the entire six months we are home. In the winter we head south and stop and go for the next six months. We might stay a month (as we are now) or just a day or week. I consider us full-timers because we live in our TT full-time. If we were constantly moving around every day, week, or month, I would consider us Nomads. JMHO.

thtravel.gif

From dictionary.com
full-time 
–adjective 1. working or operating the customary number of hours in each day, week, or month: a full-time housekeeper; full-time production. Compare part-time. –adverb 2.

on a full-time basis.

no⋅mad
–noun 1. a member of a people or tribe that has no permanent abode but moves about from place to place, usually seasonally and often following a traditional route or circuit according to the state of the pasturage or food supply. 2. any wanderer; itinerant. –adjective 3. nomadic.