New Member needs advice

tom taylor

Hi everyone. My name is Tom and I am new to the site. My wife and I have decided to buy a travel trailer, 23 to 25 feet long, and we are in the research mode. Looking at ultra lights as we own a 92 F-150 4x4, 5.0 liter and no one seems to know its towing capacity. We just had a new engine installed in the truck.
The users manual says 2 to 3 thousand pounds and I don't think that is right. The internet says it can handle 6500 lbs. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide us.

Papaw2812

Tom, I own a 1994 F-150 4X4, with a 5.0 manual trans. The GVWR on the drivers inside door tag, reads, GVWR 6100. Look for your tag on cab or door opening, to find your GVWR. That will be what your truck can haul. legal! If you pull something that is over weight to your trucks GVWR, your insurance will not cover you if you have a incident.

Triple E

Well I do not haul a tt but I do have a car hauler and a 1997 F-150, 5.4 and four wheel drive. Any weight over 5,000 lbs is just about my limit. Even using the trailer brakes I know it is behind me. 6500 lbs I would not try, sorry. You also have to remember the weight of your toys, food, propane, water and clothes. I know this is not what you want to hear but it is the turth. Anyway, WELCOME to this forum and stay in touch. :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Papaw2812;74138 said:
Tom, I own a 1994 F-150 4X4, with a 5.0 manual trans. The GVWR on the drivers inside door tag, reads, GVWR 6100. Look for your tag on cab or door opening, to find your GVWR. That will be what your truck can haul. legal! If you pull something that is over weight to your trucks GVWR, your insurance will not cover you if you have a incident.

You are so damn WRONG..... The GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. It is what your truck can HAUL....not TOW.

You have TOW ratings in the owners manual of the truck. Match up your vehicle in the chart in the manual and it will tell you your tow ratings. You can also go online and look in places like...Trailerlife.com and find tow ratings.