new rv purchase

dottiehe

We are going full time next year and we are looking for a quality low cost Class A.We have joined rv consumer group and have decided on three 24,000# workhorse units. I need your input. We are looking at the Vacationer by Holiday Rambler,Adventurer by Winnebago and the Kountry Star by Newmar. We need to stay in this price range. Also how important is it to have all hardwood cabinets? What is the best range for the R rating of the insulation.What about full bady paint and stainless steel wheels. I would appriciate any input. Thanks

hertig

new rv purchase

Hardwood cabinets are really nice, but they add to the price and the weight of the RV. Particle Board/MDF is lighter and cheaper, so more common. The downside is 1) they give off small amounts of noxious gas over time (and more noxious gasses if they catch fire), 2) They absorb water and swell and 3) they don't have the tensile strength (breaks easier) or screw strength (screws pull out more) that hardwoods do.

For 1), even if you get hardwood cabinets, there is a fair chance that Particle Board/MDF will be used in the trailer construction, so the cabinets may or may not be a significant factor. Also, if no one who uses the trailer is sensitive to these gasses (formaldahyde, I think), it may not be as significant a factor. For 2) (and 1 as well), check that the laminate covers all surfaces AND EDGES to keep the water out (and the gasses in). For 3), it depends on how long, how much and how hard you will use the unit. The same cabinets could last 1 family 1 year, and another family 30 years.

What it comes down to is personal choice. I, for example, hate particle board with a passion beyond reason, and will not allow it in my house under any circumstances (oddly enough, I don't have much furniture :). But my RV is filled with particle board, because it was the only trailer I found light enough and cheap enough for my needs.

I was under the impression that all standard RVs had the same level of insulation; then you could step up to an 'artic' package if you wanted more. I could be wrong and they might in fact vary, even widely. But it seems that the problem is that even if your cabin is toasty warm, you need to keep in mind the effects of weather on the 'outside' of the living area - tanks and piping in particular. So before I worried about insulation, I'd worry about what weather resistance (enclosed/heated) was provided to the water/sewage systems.

I wouldn't use the wheels in making a purchase decision (unless they were a 'tie breaker'). Stainless steel may be nice, but not critical, and in any case, you can 'easily' replace wheels.

Kirk

new rv purchase

Should we ever buy another new motorhome, we would pay the price to get full body paint. It is much easier to keep in good condition and it weathers much better than does plain fiberglass. It is costly, but if you plan to keep it a long time, I'd get it.

Solid cabinets depend upon what your use will be. The doors are most important as that is what you use and it will show wear first, so be sure to get that. Solid wood is much more durable over the long term, but it isn't critical. If price were the same, I would get it, but I would not pay a large price increase to get them.

The stainless wheels are only for looks. If you realize that, you can make the choice. Most steel wheels come with stainless liners that give the weels almost as good a look for a lot less money.

The insulation is not the same in all RVs. I don't know what you mean by the best range, but the higher the number the better it is insulated. Insulation helps to keep the rig warm in winter and to cool it in summer. If you spend time in temperature extreams extra insulation will be very important.

You do not mention them, but dual pane windows is also pretty important if you plan to use the motorhome in hot of in cold weather.

C Nash

new rv purchase

Of the three MH you have narrowed down to, I would check the CCC of each before making a decision. Also check on the warrentys. We have a 2002 vacationer and have got very good service and have not had any major problems.

janicenlarry

new rv purchase

Kirk has given you some excellent advice. My vote would be for the Winnebago product due to quality, resale, service availability and general reputation. :cool:

dottiehe

new rv purchase

Thank you all for your info. I knew about the double pane windows and there is no way I can afford full body paint unless I find a real great deal. We are looking to but a 2005 with the 24,000# chasis and will purchase it at the end of the year or beginning of next year. Of the three we are looking at they all have wood cabinet doors. Does any one have anything to say about the manufactures mentioned. Do they give good response when there are problems? What is CCC that c nash mentioned? I am trying to make sure the tanks have well heated. Does anyone have info on water filter system.Should you have the one that is for the entire unit or just the kitchen sink? I think the entire unit since the ice would be made with the water. Thanks again.

ARCHER

new rv purchase

Dottiehe,
Welcome to the forum. I am partial to Winnebago. I have an older unit, but they have been absolutely great when I have contacted them for help. They have gone above and beyond regarding thehelp they have given to me.
I only filter my kitchen sink, but I don't have an ice maker (those are for the rich folks, haha).
Good luck in finding your dream unit.

hertig

new rv purchase

I use 2 filters. An inline filter attached to the hose to filter down to bacteria size without significantly reducing flow, then a 'purifier' on the kitchen sink to finish the job for drinking water. Don't know about ice makers, my ice maker is those little plastic trays I fill from my sink purifier :)

ARCHER

new rv purchase

John, you reminded me that, I too, have an in-line filter between the water spickott and the motorhome that fits on the hose. Soo, I've got two filters. Glad to see someone else uses those little pastic trays for ice cubes.....thought I was the only poor guy that RVs.... :laugh: :) :cool:

C Nash

new rv purchase

Dottie, CCC stand for cargo carring capacity or the weight of all the goodies we want to carry with us. It adds up pretty quick. You need at least 2000 lbs of CCC. Most all campers list this inside on cabinet door somewhere. The CCC listed will not include any dealer instaled options.

turnipbwc

new rv purchase

Gary,
You wouldn't happen to know what states DO NOT have sales tax do you ? I think Florida and Deleware are two, not sure of the rest but would like to know.
I bought my last RV in Ohio and never paid sales tax there but had to pay WV sales tax when I went to the DMV office to transfered my plates.
turnip42

Kirk

new rv purchase

States with no sales tax are Montana, New Hampshire, & Oregon. But the sales tax is paid in the state where the vehicle is registered, and not where purchased, so state of purchase does not matter. And all states also have agreed that the legal requirement of registration is to be the state where the vehicle is to be garaged, or in other words, kept when not in use. Some states are now prosecuting people who try to do otherwise for fraud, so it may be well to observe the requirements of your home state.

raecarr

new rv purchase

I have been fulltiming for a year now. We purchased a 2004 Itasca Horizon by Winnebago--because of name,quality, service availability, etc. Boy, were we wrong. We have been to over 8 different service centers throughout the west, of which I would say only two were very competent! We have also been to Freightliner and Cummins. Many components have been replaced (satellite, furnace, jacks, ac, water pump, door awning, back up monitor) and we are waiting to visit the factory in late August to address our list of 13 items that need repairs. We called the factory over three months ago to get that appointment! Thay have many, many service bays and yet it was over a three month wait to get in! And we are only scheduled for three days, anything that does not get done or new issues have to wait for another appointment. I did not intend to spend my retirement in service center parking lots or in Iowa. What does that tell you about their quality? In fairness, I must say that it seems from the people we have meet in the last year all makes have issues, ours does seem to have more than normal. If I had the choice again, I would by a condo!!

hcb

new rv purchase

1. Floorplan
2. Floorplan
3. Needs
4. Wants
5. Budget

All three are quality coaches and each has advantages and disadvantages over the over. There is no perfect Motorhome. We have all found we have to make trade offs for the things most important to us.

Horace

metromac2006

new rv purchase

I strongly recommend the Newmar. I am in my first one - and bought it on a recommendation. They are very quiet and tight. The amenitiees are good and the warranty is good as well. A trip to the factory in Nappannee, IN will sell you on them.

RobbieAndTeresa

new rv purchase

We had narrowed our year+ long search down to about the same MH's only with the W-22 chassis instead of the W-24. We went with the Newmar, based on the research on this and other forums, reputation and recommendations from owners of various makes I spoke with at campgrounds.

We purchased a 2004 Kountry Star, and have been very happy with it, only back to the dealer once, for very minor fixes and to install the base plates on our toad at the same time. We did not get the full body paint, but will on our next one, for no other reason than IMHO easier upkeep than gelcoat. I can't speak for you, but for us the CCC (weight of all your STUFF) is more than sufficient, but the advice is VERY good to ensure you have enough.

Living in Florida I can safely attest that the insulation in the Kountry Star works well, and the ac units are not overworked at all. Having had it in the mountains in Tennessee in late fall early winter I can also say we had no problems staying warm either. Just my thoughts and opinions, hopefully they are some help to you. I know it is a difficult decision, take your time.

One more tip, which may seem like a no brainer, but as stated above be very conscious of the floorplan for YOUR needs, some are more acceptable for long term stays, others for frequent travel, some work OK for both.

Take care and good luck.