New RVer

dnrober

Hello Everyone. I am hoping I can get some good advice from this site. My husband and I just bought an Aero Coach Expandable Hybrid. :laugh:

Are there any good books out there that will walk us through step by step directions? :question:

Summarizing - We will need to do this as it is winterized.

Hooking up - We would prefer full hookups at campsites. What is the best way to do the hookups? And while on the subject of hookups, a friend told me that you can NOT use regular toilet paper, is this true, and if so what kind of toilet paper do we use?

Winterizing - What all needs done to winterize?

We are planning our first camping trip after our kids are done with school. So hopefully all goes well. In August we are going across the country from PA to ND to visit family. We are very excited to start camping, but at the same time our nerves are a little jumpy since we know nothing about RVing.

Thanks to all who are willing to help us Beginners out. :)

H2H1

Re: New RVer

Hello dnrober, and welcome to the forum. I guess from the questions you are a newbie, well that OK as we all was at one time. Go online and look up RV 101. or got to a library and ck out RV books and read. I have been camping for about 6 years now and still learning.You can dewinterize it very easy. But I would suggest that if the weather does permit you to do this then take it to the dealer and let them do it and watch as they do it and take notes. This what I did when I first dewinterized mine. Now the subject of toilet paper only use 1 ply and use plenty of water when flushing, water will help break down the substance. I all way type to get full hook up it is better and easier .. 1st I hook up the water , then the power and then the waste line,(sewer hose). I t is a good idea to empty the black tank (sewerage) first then the gray (waste water from showers and dish water) this helps on cleaning out the hose. Be sure to get a white water hose as it has been recommended by the RV folks.I know I have left something out and I know other will jump inhere and add things . So review back often and read there comments. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away, but be fore warned, we do get offf the subject and cut up with each other and have a good time on the forum, So enjoy your new camper and let us know how things are going.

dnrober

Thanks for your info. I have been learning alot from these forums. Even the fights. LOL I will be checking back often to see what else I can learn.

Thanks again,
Darlene :)

H2H1

well there are no fights on this forum, just opinions. I must tell you that some are very opinionated . But we all get along fine and you will get your questions answered. BTW there are several who are RV Tech on here who will answer your questions. :laugh:

C Nash

I have found that the cheaper toilet paper works fine. Old country boy here and found the corncobs took to long to dissolve. :laugh: :eek: If in doubt put some of the toilet paper in some water and see how long it takes to break up. Use lots of water in the waste tank and flush good. Always add water to a empty tank before using.

rjf7g

dnrober-
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find plenty of answers here - have you seen the Robin Williams movie "RV"? Watch that and then you'll have even more questions!

DL Rupper

Hey dnrober, welcome to the forum. Scott toilet paper is RV/septic tank friendly. You can usually find a Fulltimer 101 book in the RV section of Walmarrt. The best advice i can give you is to use throw away rubber gloves when you hook/unhook the sewer connections. I see too many people handling the sewer hose/connections with their bare hands. My wife and I speculate on whether or not they wash them before sitting down to dinner. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It's kinda like wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Some people think it makes them macho to not wear the helmet. I'm sure some people think it looks macho to handle the sewer paraphernalia with bare hands. We get a good laugh by watching them. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

elkhartjim

Three things all plumbers know DL...stuff only runs down hill, pay day is every Friday and don't chew your finger nails.

elkhartjim

Oh.... with the new political machine, maybe payday will be each day just in case the business goes under during the night. Unless of course you'er one of the big banks or big three auto makers and you've got Nancy and Barney looking out for you.

dnrober

I have watched the movie RV and maybe that is why I have so many questions now. LOL :laugh:

I don't want to make all of the same mistakes. LOL

Thanks everyone for all the good information you have been giving. We will definately wear our gloves for the septic hook ups just in case we are being watched. LOL :laugh:

Domingo

I do what Hollis and Maria do everytime. I always try to find parks with full hookups but I love to use the state parks they often do not have full hookup. but they have a dump station near by. People make fun of my bright yellow and pink rubber glubs when dumping. I wonder about the people who use bare hands.
Weclome to the forum I am a two year newby and still learning, specially from the folks in this forum. They have a wealth of info and a lot of BS but is all in good humor.

brodavid

Hollis, we are not opionated, we just think that we know something even do some of us do not know anything, of course speaking only for my self, noone else

Xlgcrplt

Wow I always try to learn something new everyday. And just getting into Rv'ing I'm learning alot. But reading this I found a new use for my Purple Nitrile (EMT) gloves. there are fairly cheap & disposable Thanks Ya'll