New RVers - Beginning the Quest

TomPilot

We are just starting our retirement and want to get it right early on. We currently have a Jayco 22FB trailer and are going to upgrade to a Motorhome in the 33-36 foot range. For those with lots of experience, what are the top ten things you either selected as necessary for your own motorhome, or wish you opted for when you bought your RV. Also, what are your top three recommendations to watch out for! Thanks in advance!

C Nash

Re: New RVers - Beginning the Quest

Welcome to the forumTom. One of the things to watch for is true carring capacity. Some have very little. What is your price range? Gasser or diesel? New or used? Will you be towing a toad? If so, check the towing rate. What type camping will you be doing? Need to know a little more to get answers.

TomPilot

Thanks - we'll try to hold it to ~100k or less. With that, it'll probably be a gasser. I'd also like a late model used - 2005 0r later with ~20K miles or less. We'll be spending a lot of time in fixed sites, but would like the option of dry camping, so I'm assuming a generator will be necessary. We'll probably pull a Madza6, (or small SUV - something less than 3500 lb).

C Nash

Tom, you should be able to get a nice used unit in this price range. We have a 33 ft MH with 2 slides and if I had it to do again I would go with at least a 35 ft. The smaller units are great for getting to some of the off beaten paths if you have that in mind. Most all MH will have a generator. I don't like the propane ones. Personel opinion. As I said before ck the CCC which will be on a sticker in a closet or cabinet. If you are no familiar with CCC that is the amount of weight you can carry. You need to try to get at least 1500 lb and 2000 is better for two people. I would also recomend slides and yes they can give problems but well worth for the extra space. I like the 50 amp service. Thermo windows or dual pane windows are a very good option. If buying used ck for any signs of water leaks and if you can see them it's worse than it looks. If you are not machanical inclined have a mechanic inspect it for you. Look look and looooook so more. Sit in them for long piriods, lay on the beds, test drive on different roads. Check the bathroom. Is it large enough? Is the kitchen ok for the type meals you or the wife will be preparing. There will be others here to give you advice so stay around.