new, sort of, but looking for advice/help.

colubridae

My wife and I are British and we live in England. We have just returned from our 5th RV trip in the USA, this trip was from Houston to Phoenix via big bend national park, white sands, Carlsbad etc over 3 weeks.

We absolutely adore RVing in the states. We have always rented from cruseamerica.

We now have an ambition to make a longer trip and our thoughts have run along the lines of buying a fifth wheel rig, cross the states in maybe 2-3 months, and selling the rig at the end.

Maybe something like a Winnebago five lite 28’. With ford super duty pickup.

I have an English HGV licence and have driven 38 foot 18 wheelers, though not extensively – and 15 years ago, so I should be OK with fifth-wheeling

We would welcome ideas, thoughts suggestions. Please.

:)

C Nash

Welcome to the forum. Glad you had a good trip in the states. Buying and selling you may take a big hit especially if trying to quick sell. 2 to 3 months would be short for crossing from one coast to other IMO. Just depends what you want to see. How did you like Big Bend? with a 28 ft fiver you should have no trouble going wherever you like with ford super duty, Will you be buying new or used?

colubridae

Hi cnash.

Big bend awesome. Especially st Elena canyon. At edge of park. :excitement:

Park ranger also recommended a good scenic drive from study butte to lajitas. It was well worth it. :excitement:

Also stopped at McDonald Observatory TX.
We lucked in and saw a planetarium show on the mountaintop. Only the planetarium was the real sky. And the astronomer pointed to bits of the sky with a ~200ft laser pointer. Awesome.:excitement:

Whites sand awesome, hot. plus sonic booms from nearby airbase. Never felt them before.

Carlsbad caverns awesome.

Tombstone – kitchy but awesome.
Saguera national parks awesome esp desert museum. :excitement:

Old Tucson kitchy but good fun – I grew up in the 50s/60s so western films were still a prime genre.

Tonto national forest – awesome.

We were also pleased that the state parks campsite had electric/water hook-ups.
Found this to not be the case on previous trips.

As to buying/selling rig, yes we expected to take a big hit. It’s the mechanism for buying/selling that concerns us. From Europe we have virtually no protection from bad deals.

We have considered buying new and used. Both have pros and cons.
Buying new, one is more sure of not buying a lemon, but there is a bigger hit on the selling side.
Buying used, one gets more bang for one’s buck, but there is more risk.

We don’t know about things like insurance, servicing, repairs etc

It’s a tough ask, but any ideas would be welcome.

krsmitty

IMHO...I would think used would be the way to go. If RV's are like cars; they usually depreciate the most during the first 2-3 years. Why it usually recommended to by a used car around 3 years old. A 3 year old 5th wheel should still be in good condition.

Buying new is no real guarantee that it is not a lemon.

Now, buying a Ferd...tsk...tsk...tsk ;) Go for a Dodge with the Cummins motor. :approve:

colubridae

Just another (probably silly) question.

Is it safe/comfortable to use a fifth wheel trailer whilst still 'hook-up' to the towing vehicle?
(my guess is it's ok, but never been in a fifthe wheel so don't know).;)

akjimny

If the tow vehicle is parked, engine off and no one in the driver's seat, then Yes, you can leave the 5er hooked to the tow vehicle. If you mean using the trailer while going down the road, then NO, it is NOT SAFE and is illegal in most states. I wouldn't even allow my pets to ride in the trailer while driving.

colubridae

akjimny;77209 said:
If the tow vehicle is parked, engine off and no one in the driver's seat, then Yes, you can leave the 5er hooked to the tow vehicle. If you mean using the trailer while going down the road, then NO, it is NOT SAFE and is illegal in most states. I wouldn't even allow my pets to ride in the trailer while driving.

Thanks for your quick reply. :)

Yes I meant while parked, not while moving.

I'm also trying to find the cost of RV storage. I've been surfing dozens of websites, but none give a quote. Not even per foot per day etc. Can anyone give a rough guide for e.g. 28 foot fifth wheel per year? Please. :eek: