New to Lifestyle, what to do, what to do...

Patrick-HMS

We have arrived at the point in our lives where we want to downsize, and we are seriously thinking about buying a towable, to live in it full time, year around, somewhere in a nice RV park in the North Ga or maybe NC mountains.

If I could have a lake nearby to fish in, build a porch for a Soloflex or a treadmill, we could live out the rest of our days thataway and be blissfully happy.

Once bought, would likely be parked there permanently. Would only need to sleep two people (may get a smaller one (or a popup) to tow and travel with some, but not very much) and guests are on their own.

What I am looking for could be either TT or 5th wheel, whatever fits most of the following criteria, would want AT LEAST 30' in length, or close to that.

I like the idea of having the following ~

A slide in master BR, with room on sides of bed to upgrade to a king-sized bed. I would replace ALL (cushioned - bedding, chairs, sofa) furniture with my own.

Total of 2-3 slides. At least two.

Washer dryer connections.

Separate bathroom, as much as possible.

Either another bedroom that could be converted to a small office, or at least a nice corner to set up a desk and a PC.

Freestanding dining/breakfast table and chairs (NOT the table and booths).

Room for two recliners, and a couch/sofa with arms on both sides of it. Use our own stuff here, too.

(Don't expect much, do I? But it doesn't hurt to ask)

At this point I don't have a clue who makes good or bad units, the best or the worst, but people on here should know that.

Looking for something, say, a 2000 Model or newer, seems there are a TON of pre-owned units out there in this economy, and I can pay full cash on the spot, so I have a bargaining position as far as that goes.

Am attracted to the upscale interior of something like the Forest River Cardinal and Cedar Creek lines, also like the interior look of Keystone Montana, and REALLY like the exterior, back window of the Montana 5'er.

Problem is, that right now I don't know enough about which Mfg's to look FOR, and which ones to stay far away from.

If anyone can kinda point me in the right direction I would surely appreciate it.

Also, if anyone out there is a dealer, or has something for sale, I sure don't mind coming to get it for a cash deal...

THANKS in advance for any help you folks out there can offer...

Patrick-HMS

RE: New to Lifestyle, what to do, what to do...

Done some reading on here, and although they look REALLY nice on the inside, look like Forest River products are OUT for me.

I lived in a 65' single wide mobile home from from 1973 - 1980, it was a Peachtree / Tall Oaks, with a slide in LR, what they used to call an "expando".

Back then, Peachtree, and Marlette were among the better built mobile homes (least to my knowledge and memory) in the area where I was living.

Wish I could find something of that similiar build, fit and finish quality now.

But looks like it ain't gonna be a Forest River, I am not stupid enough to buy their product after what I read here...lol

What about Keystone, like the Montana, or other models?

Fleetwood?

What to do, what to do...

LEN

Re: New to Lifestyle, what to do, what to do...

Sounds like you need to look at a park model or one of the cabins on wheels then add an glass enclosed Arizona room and you have all you need. Do a google on park models and you will see new and used and possibly a package in your area of want that is a owned lot and park model that would cut the monthly cost by a bundle.

LEN

C Nash

Check the Sunnybrook line. What about just moving your present Mobile Home to a location where you want to live? King Of The Road, Carriage, Airstream, Travel Supreme are some that come to mind although most atr no longer in business but can find them in earlier models.

Patrick-HMS

Len ~

Thanks, I have seen the Park Models, most of them don't really appeal to me. Even though I do not plan to tow, I want to have the capability unless I change my mind.

Also, if unit is bought and paid for in cash, the monthly cost doesn't appear to be much of an issue, as I have seen lots lease annually for $2k or less, and unilities can't be THAT much.

Seems to me that once paid for, monthly rates for a unit set up in a park are not that much more than paying storage for the same unit in a self-storage complex somewhere closer to home.

C Nash ~

Thanks to you too! Will check out the Sunnybrook line, might contact Ken up at Bedford RV in Va. My GGdaddy lived in Bedford, served in Civil War, I know I shoul still have relatives named Gaines, Scott, and Noell that may still be up there somewhere.

And my present mobile home, as you say, is a former mobile home as of 1979.

Also know about some of the vintage makes you refer to, but without a slide, I would die from claustrophobia...lol

Airstreams are neat, and classic, but they are not for me...

To me, slides / tip outs make ALL the difference in interior space. I know of a really nice 1995 Gulfstream (Kingsley) already set up in a nice park on a lake in N Ga mountains, but I had to pass somewhat because of having no slide.

But thanks,