New to RVing, would welcome advice

select

Ok, I haven't been camping since I was a kid 20+ years ago.

Yesterday, I bought a brand new 2011 Heartland Trail Runner 27FQBS travel trailer. Basically I was getting tired of paying thousands of dollars per week every time we went on vacation, and I needed an extra tax break, so I thought I'd give this a try. This family of 4 is pretty excited.

So, I thought I would come here and ask for some advice. If you only had once piece of advice to tell a new camper/RVer, what would it be. So far, I've heard....

- If it starts to sway, accellerate, don't break.
- Invest in a good cover for the winter
- Spend a good hour every time you take it out to inspect the seals

Anyone else have any good advice that might save me from headache?

Thanks in advance.

paulm235

Re: New to RVing, would welcome advice

Tires are a very important part of owning a TT (Travel Trailer). Make sure you always cover them when not in use as the UV rays will actually rot the tires from the inside out. When it hits you that it has become a problem is when you're changing a blowout on the side of a busy interstate. Also make sure you have a proper jack for changing a tire if needed.
Also at the begining of each season grab a lug wrench and make your way around to each tire and make sure all the lugs are tight.
Remember you're pulling a pretty decent sized rig (at least 27' by looking at your model #) so keep your turns wide.
Make sure you have a functioning Carbon Monoxide detector in the coach especially if you do any camping in cold weather.
If you don't have any experince pulling a rig of this size practice backing it up in an empty parking lot somewhere until you feel fairly comfortable with it. It will save you a lot of hassle at the campgrounds.

So much for one piece of advice :) These are just a few things I have learned (and experienced first hand :eek: ) over the years.

Good luck and welcome to the world of RV'ing

H2H1

hello Chris and welcome, so for you have gotten some good advise. The one I think is best so for is practicing driving and backing. There are a lot of camp grounds that is the only way you will be able to park. When camping in a camp ground with full hook up be sure to empty the BLACK tank first then the gray water, this way you will rinse the pipe of the waste. I hope you have the no lube bearing on the wheels that way you want have to lube the bearing.Also get you a good hitch for towing. Good luck and happy camping,,, again :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Get a good float charger for your TT battery. Don't let it go dead and try to bring it back to life the night before you pull out on a camping trip. If you are not parking your rig where there is electricity handy, pull the battery and bring it home with you.