New to RVing

2new2rv

My husband and I have waited forever to buy a class A motor home- we are looking to purchase our first one in about 6 months- we have 2 small children who will be traveling with us for our vacations to visit other family. We need as much help as possible in not only the things we should be looking for in a motor home but also resources/ books or anything that will help us. We are totally novice at this to say the least. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.... Mommyof6 :eek:

C Nash

Re: New to RVing

Best advice I can give you is look, research, talk and look some more. Ask questions on this and other forums but keep in mind its opinions. There are several books out there you can buy and I forget the ones that rates them. Beware of articles in magazines that take adds. Kirk will be on and he knows the name that escapes me at the moment so keep cking back. Are you looking new or used? Good luck

Kirk

I will offer several thoughts. We moved into the RV market many years ago and started with one of the smallest of pop-up trailers and slowly worked up. By doing it that way we were lucky to have never made any really bad purchases, but we did take a few unnecessary risks. One of the best places to learn about RVs and how to tell a quality one is to join the RV Consumer Group. www.rv.org

This organization is all about educating RV buyers and improving the quality standards of the industry. They are not completely free of bias, but they are the most reliable source that I know of and they are also the only one who accepts no money from the RV industry. As such, it does cost to join but everyone that I know who has done so has been happy with the return.

I have also heard some very good reports on the book "The RV Handbook."
http://www.amazon.com/RV-Handbook-Essential-How-Guide/dp/0934798664/ref=pd_sim_b_2

2new2rv

Thanks so much! We are planning on buying a used class A. We have done camping when the boys were little so we have been down that route but what we are mainly interested now in is traveling with the 2 foster children we adopted last year. Since our kids are grown and live all over the place we have become Grandparents and will be traveling to visit... we thought we were going to be "empty nesters" a few years ago but God didn't see it that way so now we will be traveling with a 5 year old and 2 year old...no need to buy new when you travel with little ones!!! But we wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks I will check out that book and the website...keep those suggestions coming!!! Thanks..... MOMMY OF 6 :eek:

C Nash

Your price range would help us in trying to give helpful info Cherin. Time you will spend in it and miles you plan on traveling will also help. Will you be towing a toad? CCC (cargo carring capacity) is important. just a few things that come to mind there will be more

2new2rv

We are trying to keep our price under $50,000. Hopefully you all aren't laughing.... We know we will have to buy a significant older one and that is ok with us. we also would like at least one slide to give us more room in the living area. (our son has cerebral palsy so he need to move around when we stop)
We will be using it on one long road trip a year to visit family...2400 miles round trip and since we live close to Disney and the beaches weekend trips there that will only be a few hours drive...We are not planning on towing anything at his point but that may change later... I know that is an important part but we feel like we can always rent a car if we need it when we reach our destination. Thanks for your help. MOMMY OF 6 :eek:

Bigwheel

We just bought our 1994 Southwind, haven't even taken it camping yet. We paid about $15K with tax and license. We figure we'll have to put tires on because the tires it has are old. So there is a couple of grand. She's now at a respected truck service company getting checked out and having the sway bar bushings replaced. I'm budgeting another grand. We have a gas engine, 32', no slides and a 5K generator. I think, from what we saw while looking, you will be able to buy what you want for a lot less than $50K. Be sure to read a lot of these blogs and find out what the problems are, the difference between diesel and gas as far as cost, power, maintnance, fuel etc. We looked at everything we could and found MH's like ours but in much worse condition for twice as much so be sure to look at a lot vehicles before you jump... and then make an offer. Good luck.