New to RVing

ronbo0032

Need some advice on what size truck is needed to pull a 5th wheel. We just purched a 34' 5th wheel, which was on sale for a decent price, but do not have a truck to pull it with yet. The base weight I think is around 12,000lbs, hitch weight is around 2,000 lbs, and the carring weight is about 3,600lbs. I know we need about a 1 ton for sure but have been hearing differing opinions on which makers to look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

ARCHER

Re: New to RVing

Check the tow rating on a 2500. Check for perhaps air shocks as helper. Smelly gas (disel).

H2H1

Hi Ron and welcome, I had a 2500HD with an 8.1 with a Allison tranny . I think you may be safe with such a truck. But you may want to look into a diesel if you are planning on any long trips. If you do look into a diesel stay away from the Ford 6.0 diesel, they have had lots of trouble with this engine. I good Dodge will do great an so will a Chevy or Ford as long as it not the 6.0 version. Good luck and post back on your decision.

Poppa

Ok guys I have not been around in a while. :(

My personal preference from a safety point providing there is enough cash to go around is a 3500 dually with a diesel engine. The safety issue is if you lose a rear tire you don't have any issues with it flopping you around. It is especially nice when you have a tire go flat in the middle of the noght or on some narrow roads where you can't just pull over.

Poppa

Oh one more thing , and this from MY experience, ok Chelse laugh. When you set you canapoy out PLEASE let one end be lower than the other about a foot pr so. If you don't and you get a good rain, you just spent another $800 on a new canapoy. Yea I did that.